Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warn Powerplant Air Compressor Vs. Viair X'treme Duty Onboard Air System

Old 09-04-2012, 11:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Warn Powerplant Air Compressor Vs. Viair X'treme Duty Onboard Air System

Folks,
Looking at Winch options and was wondering if I should go with Warn Powerplant HP. I like the fact that it has an integrated Air Compressor. Just wondering how it stacks up against the Vair Xtreme Duty?

Should I go with the VAir, what are my mounting options for the tank? Has anyone put it under the truck or must they go inside?

My OBA needs are to reinflate my 35's and operate some air tools.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I have no experience with either, but when I bought my Warn winch, my thinking was that of the two components of the Powerplant, the air compressor was likely to be used more often than the winch part, but was also probably more likely to fail. Having to remove and then ship a 100 lb air compressor for repair was not very appealing to me, so I bought the 9.5cti winch and went with a Viair portable air compressor (which only weighs about 5 lbs).

Just my 2 cents...
Old 09-04-2012, 11:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen a bracket for a two gallon Viair tank to fit between the bottom of the radiator and the engine but I'm not sure if it fits on a 12+. Lots of room there though.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Grand Umpah
I have no experience with either, but when I bought my Warn winch, my thinking was that of the two components of the Powerplant, the air compressor was likely to be used more often than the winch part, but was also probably more likely to fail. Having to remove and then ship a 100 lb air compressor for repair was not very appealing to me, so I bought the 9.5cti winch and went with a Viair portable air compressor (which only weighs about 5 lbs).

Just my 2 cents...
Im thinking along your lines as well. WOuld hate to have to lose two functions if one broke. Like you, ill be using the air morethan the winch. Im curious about the power differences between the two. How long does it take you to fill your tires using the Vair?

Originally Posted by keithvegas
I've seen a bracket for a two gallon Viair tank to fit between the bottom of the radiator and the engine but I'm not sure if it fits on a 12+. Lots of room there though.
Ill look under my truck to see if there is room. I was thinking more along the lines of putting it in the back to better distribute weight.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by powrsurg
Im thinking along your lines as well. WOuld hate to have to lose two functions if one broke. Like you, ill be using the air morethan the winch. Im curious about the power differences between the two. How long does it take you to fill your tires using the Vair?

Ill look under my truck to see if there is room. I was thinking more along the lines of putting it in the back to better distribute weight.
i've had the powerplant on my JK's (same winch, three different Jeeps) countless air ups, winches and well over 100,000 miles. Its never let me down.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:24 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by chris@offroadevolution
i've had the powerplant on my JK's (same winch, three different Jeeps) countless air ups, winches and well over 100,000 miles. Its never let me down.
THis is good to know. Thank You!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

hows the air-up speed compared to co2?
Old 09-04-2012, 11:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the powerplant also and no issues at all, doesnt take long to air up and you can add a tank if you wish to run tools.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the Powerplant as well and love it. It's slower than CO2, but every compressor without a tank will be. The upside is that I don't have to refill it.

You can't use the compressor and winch at the same time. Which means you can't use it for lockers but I have a Rubi with e-lockers.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

It is fairly simple to set up a tank with the powerplant. If I remember correctly warn even makes a kit to do so fairly inexpensively. I am another vote for the PP. I love mine and have abused the crap out of it. Any specific questions just shoot.

Quick Reply: Warn Powerplant Air Compressor Vs. Viair X'treme Duty Onboard Air System