Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WAYOFLIFE: Question

Old 01-28-2007, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WAYOFLIFE: Question

I just saw that you are getting your JK tomorrow?

what are the first mods you plan on having done? I'd imagine some of the companies out there have already given you some "goodies" to put on your jeep...
Old 01-28-2007, 01:52 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey jsherman,
Yeah, I've already got a few "goodies" from our sponsors that I will be installing right off the bat and you can be sure that I will be doing very detailed write-ups for all of them with tons of hi-res photos.

Right off the bat, I will be building up my JK the cheapest I can to fit 35" mudders and make it proform well both on and off the pavement. To do this, I already have a TeraFlex 2.5" BB with shock extensions ready to go on. I'm hoping this is all I will need to do this but if necessary, I will most likely add a 1" Body Lift to make up any difference that is needed. I'm currently in the process of looking for a tire sponsor but if I can't find one, I will most likely buy a set of TrXus M/T's and install them on a set of black steel wheels. And, if I run into any handling issues, I will try to address them one at a time so that I can isolate the cause specifically and provide this information to all of you

As far as bumpers go, I currently have a WARN front bumper and will be getting an LoD front and rear bumper tire carrier on Tuesday. I will be sure to install all of them and of course, I will provide detailed write-ups for each.

Last but not least, I have a WARN Power Plant in my garage ready to be installed but for the sake of budget mods, I will most likely try to pick up a basic 8000 lb. WARN unit or something comperable and run it first.

After running this setup for a while, I will upgrade to a 3" coil lift and start the process all over again and eventually, I'll move up to a 4"-6" lift to sit on 37's. When all is said and done (5-10 years from now), I hope to have the most complete index of JK installation write-ups, maintenance tips and useful information you could ever hope for on the internet.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

sounds great, looking forward to the write-ups.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Take pics of your JK stock as well.

Theres hardly any white JK pics.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:06 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by FRDesign
Take pics of your JK stock as well.

Theres hardly any white JK pics.
LOL!! Man, you ain't kiddin. Sure, I'll be sure to take a ton of pics of it from every angle I can think of before removing a single bolt
Old 01-28-2007, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wayoflife, congrats on getting your JK. You will love it and we will love seeing the write ups! Question, why did you decide on the TruXus MT's? These were one of my finalists as well but heard they do not wear well on the street from the local vendor and ended up going w/ Cooper STT's and love em!
Old 01-28-2007, 02:16 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by JKMAN
Wayoflife, congrats on getting your JK. You will love it and we will love seeing the write ups! Question, why did you decide on the TruXus MT's? These were one of my finalists as well but heard they do not wear well on the street from the local vendor and ended up going w/ Cooper STT's and love em!
Well, for one, they are one of the most affordable M/T's you can buy that performs exceptionally well on the trails (super thick sidewalls for sharp rock protection/clear mud out extremely well) and surprisingly, it's one of the quietest mudders I have ridden on and one that actually handles wet/slippery pavement quite well. Regarding tire wear, your vendor is correct. The TrXus tire will only yield you about 30,000+ miles where as my last set of BFG M/T's yielded closer to 60,000 miles.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your Cooper's?
Old 01-28-2007, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for info, those were the reasons I was looking at them as well, price heavily weighing in they were one of the cheapest 35" 18"s I could find. The coops ran me right at $ 300 / tire for 35x12.5/18's which was a decent price for this size in an 18". I looked at the BFG's MT's and Toyo's as well as the Truxus, these were my finalists but settled on the coops and very happy with the decision. Much quieter than my last set of Goodyear MTR's.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOL, congrats on the Jeep. You should have a lot of fun with it. I am dumbfounded at the prices on tires out west. I know there is a difference between the price of 17's and 18's, but my local tire guy priced me the 35x12.50-17 Cooper Stt's at $210 per tire, mounted and balanced + tax. maybe I should start selling tires online and shipping them out west.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

That is about right, the 18's are about 75-90 per tire more. That price was w/ tax, mounted, balanced, stems, etc... I've actually gotten allot better prices on tires out 'west' here in AZ and CA than in the midwest where I used to live.

Quick Reply: WAYOFLIFE: Question