Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weirdest thing happened

Old 02-24-2019, 02:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weirdest thing happened

I need help as the problem I am having doesn't make sense. Right rear tire spun on ice as I was leaving a friends house. Immediately the stability light came on as it should. Seconds later the ABS light came on. Both lights stayed on for my 5 mile trip. Afterwards, I was heading home on the highway when the jeep went into limp mode and the check engine light came on. As I was slowing down to pulling over, I regain power and made it home. Ran the onboard diagnostics and no code. I went to Autozone and they pulled the PO730 code for incorrect gear ratio. ?. I pulled the rr tire and brakes, cleaned the abs sensor, disconnected the battery for 30 mins, tried the oil reset procedure, I heard this can reset the CPU. Nothing worked.

Now the weird part. I drove to a parking lot for some testing. As I left my driveway in 2wd, the hill decent light came on for a few seconds then went out. In the parking lot I tested the transmission and transfer case. 4 wheel Hi or Low, you can bearly turn the wheel without the steering "bouncing" as if your using the downhill decent feature. Can't get above 2nd in manual mode in Low and 4th in Hi. Jeep is an automatic by the way. The jeep also wants to auto downshift when in all 4wd mode. Right now the jeep is down as I am holding off going to the dealer. Jeep is only a mild build. I did flash the CPU when I added larger tires to remove the TPS but that was over 2 years ago. Until now I never had any issues. Jeep is a 2013 JKU. Help please as I am all out of ideas. My assumption is the CPU is being tricked somehow.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Kjpeej
Jeep is only a mild build. I did flash the CPU when I added larger tires to remove the TPS but that was over 2 years ago. Until now I never had any issues. Jeep is a 2013 JKU. Help please as I am all out of ideas. My assumption is the CPU is being tricked somehow.
Kind of sounds like it may be going into limp mode. What are the size of the tires on it and did you set the tire size to the larger tire size with the programmer? Has your draglink been properly adjusted? Steering wheel is centered when the wheels are straight?

Old 02-28-2019, 11:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

This happened to me twice before, but I drive a manual, and it just disappeared after a little bit.

It would always start with the traction assist, then the ABS light, then the check engine light, but as soon as I would start it up later, it was gone, or would appear for a few minutes and then disappear.

It hasn't happened in a few months, so I just forgot all about it until this thread. Hope you figure it out!

Quick Reply: Weirdest thing happened