Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is the best gear ratio for jk with a ripp superchager?

Old 12-20-2017, 03:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the best gear ratio for jk with a ripp superchager?

I have a 2010 jk that had 373's for a short time. The installation of a ripp supercharger was two weeks of that gearing, then I had the gears changed to 456's. Suddenly, I lost almost all of my top end was gone. So, the supercharger saw the two different gear ratios and I was way more impressed with the 373's with it. I have 33.5 inch tall tires at 12.5 wide on 16 inch aluminum alloys, steel bumpers with winch and tools for pulling people off the beach. I got to say how much fun it was to beat hondas from light to light. not so much anymore presently, not sure what happened?
Old 12-20-2017, 06:53 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

My guess would be that this is not about choosing 4.56 vs 4.88/5.13.

Was the computer reprogrammed for the new gear ratio? If it is an automatic, did you previously drive od/off and now you are od/on after the ripp and gears?
Old 12-21-2017, 03:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for responding nthinuf, I should have been more revealing with what I’m trying to create. My interest is not rock climbing, in Florida we have no rocks but we do have mud and lots of sand. We also have lots of flat streets. My Supercharged jeep when it had 373’s, from light to light, it was virtually unbeatable against most stock vehicles. You might see the fun factor with me here. Although not all the time, still nobody expects a big green jeep with 35’s and big steel bumpers to blow away a bunch of stock Honda’s. (Sleeper) so with respect to the gearing, my thinking was lower gearing might get me boost sooner, but not willing to loose all my top end. But I did, mostly, but real strong pulling in sand and mud. I guess I have to decide which is more important to me. Go back to speed or stay with power. Thanks again.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running 5.38's but i'm heavy with trail gear, bumpers and armor. I can cruise down the freeway 70mph no problem at about 23-2400 rpm's, when it downshifts into 3rd it pulls like a freight train at 3500rpms. My crawl ratio is 62 but i do a lot of mix offroading(sand, rocks, snow, or whatever i can find). I use to run 4.88's with 35's and loved that gear setup but since you already have 4.56's i would try and run a high altitude pulley first which will bring on boost earlier. If your looking for more top end speed in the 80+mph range you my like the 4.10's better.

Quick Reply: what is the best gear ratio for jk with a ripp superchager?