Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of oil are you switching to?

Old 12-30-2006, 12:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of oil are you switching to?

Hello everybody.

I'm approaching the mark where I will make my first oil change... so I was wondering what everybody was switching to?

I've personally been considering Royal Purple full synthetic 5w20

I know alot of people praise Amsoil, and other just tell me to use Mobil1 since I can get that at the local autozone. So the question stands:

What Oil will you, or are you, using in your JK, and why.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just changed the oil for the first time and put conventional 5W-20 back in.(Penzoil) just to make sure the engine in well broken in before switching to synthetic.

The next time I will put Amsoil in. Why? I have used Amsoil in all of my vehicles since around 1980. (I do not sell Amsoil) I like the extended drain intervals, increased protection under extreme conditions, cooler running and improved fuel economy.

Most full synthetics will offer similar benefits.

The only other synthetic I have tried is Mobil1.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hope i'm not hijacking this thread!

I was planning on switching to synthetic after my 2nd oil change @ 10000km's.

Will most of you be switching to full synthetic or half/half?
Old 12-30-2006, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Amsoil, and no, I don"t sell it. I've used it in diesel trucks since 1999.

If you do ALL of the homework, you will find Royal Purple does not even come close to the quality of Amsoil.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

The reason I say Royal Purple is because it has a strong following in the drag racing crowd, to which I have some background... I know Amsoil is good stuff
Old 12-30-2006, 04:24 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by OJMiles
The reason I say Royal Purple is because it has a strong following in the drag racing crowd, to which I have some background... I know Amsoil is good stuff
Same here, My dad uses it in his 66 fairlane that he races.

I use it in my other jeeps with no issues..

My first oil change is free. after that my wife will probley use Royal Purple, when she changes the oil.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:25 PM
JK Super Freak

I just bought Mobil 1, but I haven't changed it yet. Any reason I shouldn't use Mobil 1? Thanks!
Old 12-31-2006, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

I've heard alot about Amsoil but plan on running Royal Purple in my JK. I've used the stuff since I was 16 and never ran into any issues what so ever.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:53 PM
JK Super Freak

my dealership put 5w30 in mine! should i be that concerned? since the book and the darn oil cap both say 5w20?? and I plan to run synthetic but like most, have no idea what to get, my dad has used Amsoil in all of his rigs, currently running over 10 years in a Jeep Grand Cherokee... he does the once a year change, and every 6 months just the filter...
Old 12-31-2006, 11:20 PM
JK Newbie

I think oil choice is a personal preference question. If your gonna change your oil every 3000mi and just drive on the street, any dino oil will be fine. If you are off road every weekend or live in severe conditions (below freezing or above 100 degrees regularly) you might want to think about synthetic oils. I live in Phoenix, AZ (100+ and used to live in WI -0) I use Wall Mart 5W30 full synthetic in everything I own (under $14 for 5 qt), and change oil every 5000 miles, haven't had any problems.

Thinkmud - Jeep (DC) recommends 5W20 for all operating conditions on the Wrangler, however 5W30 isn't gonna ruin your engine. I believe DC re-spec'd the 3.8L engine for the 2005 model year, it seems they went from recommending 5W30 to 5W20 oil (probably to meet their corporate fuel economy numbers)

Last edited by inlo; 12-31-2006 at 11:46 PM.

Quick Reply: What kind of oil are you switching to?