Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of oil are you switching to?

Old 01-01-2007, 02:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil

Here's one for you guys. My dad has a '96 Chev 2500 4x4 with a big block. He changes the oil every 2500 miles has 275,000 on the darn thing and has never been into the engine or tranny. He runs Pennsoil 5-30. Now granted he's not a lead foot at 69 years of age but he does pull a 31 ft travel trailer about 4000 miles every summer. His motto is "keep clean oil in it and change the air filter when it gets dirty and an engine should run forever." I've never run a synthetic oil so I find your comments interesting as related to price and change intervals.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Little off topic but not really. I have run Shell Rotella T in my turbocharged 4 banger for the past 50k. I run 20psi. daily and drag race(occasionally) as well. I really beat this poor car. The compression is as good today as it was the day I bought it. (knocking on wood as I type) If they made it in the recommended weight I would for sure be using Rotella T. And will for sure switch to it as soon as the engine warranty is up.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I really like the idea of running synthetic since here in Quebec, we have 2 extreme, -30 celcius on winter and +30 celcius on summer but for the extented time between oil change, you should know that the warranty will not cover you if you don't do what in the maintenance manual. It's a little bit stupid but what are you doing with that?

I was thinking of putting Amsoil and dual filter relocation kit but I fear a bit what to tell to the service guy if I got problem with my engine and have been 25000 miles between my oil change. Do someone ever have issue with that?
Old 01-04-2007, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Snowmoose
I've heard alot about Amsoil but plan on running Royal Purple in my JK. I've used the stuff since I was 16 and never ran into any issues what so ever.
Look, I'm gonna be a bit of an asshole here: exactly what type of issues did you expect? Was the gear drive in the oil pump supposed to fuse because you didn't use a certain brand? Or would the rod bearings in your '83 Tercel spin if the quarts weren't at least $3/piece?

Don't get me wrong, I like extended protection, and I like the low-sulfur content of the synthetics very much. But, please folks, stop baby-ing your jeeps and then whining when DCX thins the sheet metal. Put oil in it and go drive up a mountain somewhere!

Last edited by Wladziu; 01-04-2007 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have been told as well, let the motor break in= 5k then switch to a 100% syn,I will be using Amsoil. I have had allways 1-2 better MPG and felt better performance, not to mention protection from the heat. Any one been to Phoenix when its 118?
Old 01-04-2007, 09:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amsoil for me as well.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default How long to wait before switching to synthetic?

I am a firm believer in using full synthetics, but I'm a novice at new vehicle ownership-- this JK is my first, both my TJ's were bought used with ~30k miles on them.

I'm currently at my first 1k mile mark with the JK Unlimited. What's the best schedule to change to synthetic?
  • should I continue the use of dino oil for 1-2 changes, or can I use full synthetic with my first oil change?
  • in the first 10k miles, should I be changing the oil more often, less often, or the same 3-5k interval?

Thanks for the info already in this thread, all!

Quick Reply: What kind of oil are you switching to?