JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   What Next? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/what-next-270204/)

aaronstephen 04-02-2013 05:56 PM

What Next?

Ok, I need a little help. I have finally got my 3" evo coils on order and I have already installed a jks front adjustable Trac bar along with brake line extensions and bilstein shocks and jks quick discos, rear trac bar relocation bracket. I*know for sure I'll need a drag link flip kit... What else is a must right away? What can wait a month or two? Also, brands would be nice to know which y'all prefer. Thanks for the help everyone.

CerOf 04-02-2013 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by aaronstephen (Post 3501103)
Ok, I need a little help. I have finally got my 3" evo coils on order and I have already installed a jks front adjustable Trac bar along with brake line extensions and bilstein shocks and jks quick discos, rear trac bar relocation bracket. I*know for sure I'll need a drag link flip kit... What else is a must right away? What can wait a month or two? Also, brands would be nice to know which y'all prefer. Thanks for the help everyone.

Control arms, adjustable, to get caster back to spec would arguably be next before a flip kit. At least adjustable lowers and/or uppers for the front. Rear can wait, especially on a four door.

kgonzalez 04-02-2013 06:06 PM

x2. Adj front control arms before flip kit.

aaronstephen 04-02-2013 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by CerOf (Post 3501116)

Control arms, adjustable, to get caster back to spec would arguably be next before a flip kit. At least adjustable lowers and/or uppers for the front. Rear can wait, especially on a four door.

Why adjustable lca's before flip kit? Just curious... I've heard it's pretty important to do the flip kit at our above 3 inches of lift.

CerOf 04-02-2013 07:35 PM

I believe caster effects drive ability more than the flip kit. Honestly, I'd do both at the same time. Even if you have to wait another month or two.

aaronstephen 04-03-2013 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by CerOf (Post 3501290)
I believe caster effects drive ability more than the flip kit. Honestly, I'd do both at the same time. Even if you have to wait another month or two.

Yes, that's what I was thinking of doing. Flip kit and lca's at the same time.

So you think I can wait on upper's for a little while then?

kjeeper10 04-03-2013 01:13 AM

Depends on the amount of actual lift. You may not need the uppers or even the flip kit. Most flip kits require 3-4" of lift and 3" of bumpstop to run.
Install the LCA's first to get the caster back. Only if you have bumpsteer, install a highsteer setup.

aaronstephen 04-03-2013 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3501484)
Depends on the amount of actual lift. You may not need the uppers or even the flip kit. Most flip kits require 3-4" of lift and 3" of bumpstop to run.
Install the LCA's first to get the caster back. Only if you have bumpsteer, install a highsteer setup.

This is what's so hard about building this lift. I get multiple differing opinions. I was looking at the Metal Cloak Suspension kits and they don't even offer a flip kit in their 3.5" kit. and there basic 3.5" kit only comes with upper control arms rather than lower.

I've heard both opinions, upper ca's first and lower ca's first. :thinking:

What have been the problems from 3" of lift or higher and not installing a flip kit? when does it become a problem as far as driving conditions (highway or in town)?

THanks for your help. I'm just trying to learn as much as possible as I try and build up my rig. I like to do these things myself and not just have a shop install everything for me.

Also, just to note that I will be installing 3" EVO Plush Ride Coils, which is why I am asking "what next?"

kjeeper10 04-03-2013 02:02 AM

Because not everybody has the same results. 2 door/4 door. Heavy mods ie bumpers winch.

My RK coils have my 2 door over 4" of lift. Drivability is a mess. I have lowers only and recently installed a highsteer.

Uppers and lowers will get your wheel base back.
- lowers only = caster/pinion
- uppers only = caster pinion
- uppers and lowers = center axle (lowers) uppers to adjust for caster/pinion.

You don't want to throw money around if not needed. Install the lift and see how the jeep drives. IMO a highsteer setup is not needed 2.5-3" of lift.

Center the axle (left/right) with a adjustable track bar and if needed lowers for caster. Go from there. Don't over think this it will drive you mad :D

kjeeper10 04-03-2013 02:04 AM

I posted about the EVO coils. Can't wait to see how they work out for you.