Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what tire pressure are you running on the Highway with bigger tires?

Old 01-20-2007, 07:16 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Quadratec Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what tire pressure are you running on the Highway with bigger tires?

When running larger tires I was wondering if everyone is still running your vehicles recommended PSI, more PSI, or less PSI?? Also for comparison could you give your Jeep Model, Tire Size & PSI.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

You may not like this answer too much, but its more personal preference. I am running 33s with 30lbs of pressure. You should run at least 25 for the street and no more than the tire recommendation which is 50lbs for alot of the 33s and 35s. The less pressure the softer ride, the more pressure harder ride but better mpg. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running 32psi in my 35s, but I'm thinking of raising it a little once all the ice melts off the streets. Right now the tires feel a little squirmy on dry pavement.

-E
Old 01-20-2007, 04:22 PM
JK Newbie

Right now I am running 30 PSI in my 35's. They seem to have a good contact patch at that pressure. When I get some mileage on them I will adjust the pressure based on how they are wearing. A JK is lighter than most of these tires max load rating so you don't need to run alot of pressure in them....my 2 cents.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

35 psi should give you minimal tire wear and a fair ride
Old 01-21-2007, 05:08 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tire shop put 40 in mine. I might bring it down to around 35.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:39 PM
JK Newbie

When I was running 38's on my last truck they ran great at 35 psi.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

The best way to determine what tire pressure you should run involves a flat area with a smooth surface, like a parking lot, and a stick of chalk. Air up the tires to about 40 or so to start with. Take your chalk and leave a THICK white line across the width of your tire. Now drive back and forth for a little bit. Get out and look at the mark you made. Keep lowering your tire pressure untill it wears off evenly across the mark at the same time. Then go 1 psi lower, because you started out on the high side. You could start out low too, but it's a lot easier to let air out, than put it in when your in the middle of a parking lot.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:36 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepingib
The best way to determine what tire pressure you should run involves a flat area with a smooth surface, like a parking lot, and a stick of chalk. Air up the tires to about 40 or so to start with. Take your chalk and leave a THICK white line across the width of your tire. Now drive back and forth for a little bit. Get out and look at the mark you made. Keep lowering your tire pressure untill it wears off evenly across the mark at the same time. Then go 1 psi lower, because you started out on the high side. You could start out low too, but it's a lot easier to let air out, than put it in when your in the middle of a parking lot.
Yup, for best tire contact/even wear, this is the way to do it. On my 35's that I have on my TJ now, I am running at about 26psi.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

There's a write-up in the latest JP magazine (April 2007) on this.

They show the chaulk routine also.

I'm running BFG MT 285/70-17's. I was originally running the stock Rubicon pressure, which is 37psi. With this pressure in the new tires my teeth were getting rattled out. I then noticed the sidewalls on the new tires were much firmer (higher rated tire), so I did the chaulk test. I was wayyyy to high in pressure.

I'm down to 27psi right now and the chaulk line is just about right, it still actually shows me as being a little too high in psi, but I'm a little leary about going any lower than 27psi. The ride sure is nice again though, and the Jeep seems to wander way less.

husky~

Quick Reply: what tire pressure are you running on the Highway with bigger tires?