Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What tires would you buy?

Old 01-25-2007, 06:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RubiRed
Just got 5 of the 315 70 17's....your research helped my decision.....now if the AEV wheels could arrive as quickly.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Hankook Tires

I am potentially stoked...

I just found out that Hankook is a Korean made tire (very common in Korea). As I live in Korea I am hoping I can pick these up much cheaper, what is the markup for imports in America?

My only worry is that not too many Koreans drive with rubbers this large, I don't know their availability. They may export the majority in the 35" range. I work with a Korean National who speaks outstanding english. He is going to see if he can find me some at a good price.

Larry
Old 01-25-2007, 07:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

If your looking for a tire that is great on and off the road nothing will beat the standard BF Goodrich MTs. They are quiet and grip really well. Another more aggressive option is the Krawler. No kidding these tires do really well on road. They are a little louder than MTs but they wear much better than other aggressive tires like the Irok. Krawlers have a pretty good treadlife because they use a compound similar to the MT. They are a special type of radial that has beefy sidewalls so thats never a bad thing though they don't hold an inner bead so well. It all boils down to how much your willing to take to get the best offroad performance. I think 2k2 is right in that bias ply Iroks are probably one of the best tires out there. If you haven't ridden in a car with bias ply I would highly recommend it. It really is not that bad. You get some thumping around for the first two minutes of driving as the flatspots get rounded out and then its back to normal. It's no big deal and worth the added durability (thicker sidewalls). I also think that the TSL/SX is a great on and offroad tire. The compound on those bad boys is really tough and you can get some pretty decent milage out of them. Keep in mind that different tires are suited for different things. Krawlers and GY MT/Rs will be great in the rocks, but in thick mud they don't clean so well (no matter what the magazines say). The standard MTs are good in just about everything, but don't compare to the super aggresive tire line up. Swampers no matter what flavor (SSRs, Thornbirds, Trxus do not apply) are amazing and in my opinion I really don't think you can beat a bias ply Irok. If you can stand a bit more road noise and the crappy tread life get the bias (or radial) Iroks you wont regret it. Just another bit to add the SS Trxus have pretty much the same attributes as the BFG MT. I hope I don't come across as an expert in all of this as I am by no means an expert, but these are the conclusions I have drawn from my limited experience. Hope this helps in your decision!

Living Still
Old 01-26-2007, 10:38 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info guys. I have owned 36” tsx’s and I run 39.5 TSX’s on my rock crawling buggy, so I am familiar with Bias ply tires. I think for a daily driver, I would much prefer radials to bias plys. Those flat spots take more then a mile or two to go away, especially when it is cold. Knowing that, I am going to take another look at some of the radials that you guys recommended. Anyone have any experience with the Mickey Thompson MTZ’s?
Old 01-26-2007, 12:12 PM
JK Newbie

I ran Nitto Terra Grapplers on my '03 Rubi for the street when I did drive it and that was a great tire. I had a 35" on a 16x8" wheel. They were easy to balance and wore great.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:14 AM
JK Freak

Parnelli Jones Dirt-Grip All-Terrain
Old 01-29-2007, 05:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hankooks

Hankook may be a Korean company, but the 315/70-17's are made in China. It wouldn't stop me for recommending them though. I got mine for $172 each mounted and balanced, plus tax.

Quick Reply: What tires would you buy?