Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What will help me with out gearing

Old 06-11-2014, 11:06 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

He has a 6-spd. Not sure a sprint booster would do anything for him?

stonypirate, have you priced a gear change? Would $1500-$2000 be in the ballpark for your area? That's a heck of a lot of money for going up a single ratio. If you are really considering this, you might look for a set of rubicon take-off axles instead. It will be more expensive, but that way you get the gears you want (4.10 in all older ruibi axles, 3.73 or 4.10 in newer ones), as well as factory lockers, upgraded shafts, and you move from a front d30 to a d44. Maybe it's not in the budget, just throwing it out as an option to look in to.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree the gears must be 3.21s. My wife's 2012 JKU auto with 3.73s is running my take-off 32s with no hesitation.The computer also learns how you drive and adjusts for your style. If you have owned it since new then nevermind but if you bought it used, you may want to restart the learning process. I've read that disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes will reset everything back to factory and start the learn mode all over.

Good luck.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stonypirate
I'm was told that the automatics came with 3:21 and the straight shifts came with 3:73. But I could have been miss informed.
3.21's unless you have Max tow or a rubi.
Originally Posted by JerseyMark
That is not the case, regardless of trans, all jk/jkus since 2012 come standard with 3.21s aside from rubicons and willys editions. 3.73s are an option on their own or with the max tow package.
You most likely have 3.21s, regearing to 3.73s would probably help and would work well with 31" tires.
There was no willys edition in 2012
Originally Posted by stonypirate
I'm having issues with hesitation when a take off from a stop. Especially when the A/C is on. I'm also suffering from having to down shift on the highway when I encounter hills. I'm only running 31s". I was thinking either a cold air intake or a flash tuner. any suggestions would be great.
I'm considering a left in the near future as well.
She is a 2012 JKU with the 3.6 and a 6 speed
What did you drive before this?
Originally Posted by nthinuf
A 3.6 manual, running 31" tires ?

NO, you don't need gears.

You need to realize that you aren't in a sports car. It's a brick with wheels. Any of the cheap bolt-ons or plug-ins will give minimal gains, but may be worth it to you, depending on your budget and expectations.

Next step up would be long tube headers, forced induction, and then a Hemi/LS swap.
What this guy said, its a 2 ton box on wheels, I don't think your expectations are realistic.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my experience....I started with a 2013 2-door Rubi 6-speed with factory 4:10's. Since day one it was sluggish off the line. Once I hit the magical 2700/2800 RPM, it would hook it. I later added a 2.5" lift with 35's and the AEV ProCal.....it became a little more sluggish off the line. I then bought a FlashPaq tuner...,it helped a lot, but still kinda sluggish off the line. Then I went and changed to 4:56 gears.....still a little sluggish off the line.
Now......I mostly take off from 2nd gear, so I'm sure that's my biggest problem. 1st gear has always been too low of a gear when I needed to dart across an intersection or things like that. It'll really jump off the line in 1st gear, but I can still get down the road a whole lot faster by starting off in 2nd.
If you're feeling sluggish starting from 1st gear, I'd definitely start off with the FlashPaq or even Diabo's turner....you'll feel a difference for sure. Another thing the turners offer is an adjustment for throttle response. I don't know about the Diablo, but the Flashpaq sucks in my book. It comes on too strong, too fast and feels like my drivetrain is gonna get jerked out from under me - even on the moderate setting. Off the line, it's perfect. I feel the jerk when I'm crawling in traffic or poking around in the woods...it feels bad, bro. I now have it set on factory throttle response and 89 octane tune and it's nice....still sluggish starting from 2nd, but better than ever before.
Many say not to start off from 2nd because I'll burn up my clutch, but I'm not in my clutch any longer than if I start off from 1st. The 4:10's and now the 4:56's are just too low IMO if you're wanting to get up and go.
The turners are also nice to have for when you go to bigger tires and even lower gears, so again, I'd start there. Don't waste your money on an intake.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much would a swap from D30 to D44?
Old 06-12-2014, 02:28 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
He has a 6-spd. Not sure a sprint booster would do anything for him? ...
Perhaps that's why I don't feel the hesitation? Not sure. The description says it corrects the hesitation in the electronic throttle, which is common to either transmission (the electronic throttle is common, that is).

Quick Reply: What will help me with out gearing