Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel bearing vs. axle bearing

Old 06-19-2018, 01:20 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

This is partly speculation, it's somewhat common for the front wheel sensor wires to be damaged after a lift. Perhaps once Jeep started offering their own dealership-installed lifts they decided to give a bit more length on that wire to allow better routing to prevent that. Which would mean the newer one probably superseded the older one (once stock of it was exhausted).
Old 06-19-2018, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
This is partly speculation, it's somewhat common for the front wheel sensor wires to be damaged after a lift. Perhaps once Jeep started offering their own dealership-installed lifts they decided to give a bit more length on that wire to allow better routing to prevent that. Which would mean the newer one probably superseded the older one (once stock of it was exhausted).
I'll add to that. Stock my 2009, the speed sensor wire and the front brake hoses were routed behind the back of the shock which to me, just looked unsafe since those items could either rub/wear against the shock or get hung up on items such as tree branches and getting damaged, leaving you without brakes or a speed sensor where neither is a good driving experience. My factory front brake hoses had wear marks on them from them rubbing up against the back of the shocks.

When I added the Mopar BBK, the supplied brake hoses were longer and included the bracket to route and mount the brake hoses to the front of the shock, between the shock and the spring with additional clips for the speed sensor wire so that it could be routed along with the brake hoses thus holding the speed sensor wire routing in place along with the brake hoses. However, now my speed sensor wires which typically run along the same routing path as the brake hoses could no longer be routed with the brake hoses since the speed sensor wires were now too short. I got the longer speed sensor wire on my driver's side and I was able to route that longer wire and clip it to my brake hose.

I also have the Mopar 2in lift, which includes brake line extension brackets for those front brake hoses that came with the Mopar BBK which accomodate the extra travel you mention.

I really think someone realized both the brake hoses and the speed sensors were routed poorly in the original design and were in a high risk area of getting damaged both from rubbing against the back of the shock and wearing, or getting hung up and pulled out by something as simple as a tree branch when off roading. I'm sure there may have been some warranty returns/complaints with the original routing as well when someone easily pulled off a brake hose or snapped a speed sensor wire. The newer routing in the 2011+ reduces those risks significantly and that's what I'm trying to get back to with the longer speed sensor wires. It's essentially 2 things that changed in the 2011+, the front brake line hoses, and the front speed sensor wires. Both increased in length so they could be routed between the shock and the spring perch, with an added bracket so they weren't flapping around wildly as they are in the 2010's and earlier. I have the front brake hose changes for my 2009 when I added the Mopar BBK, where those brake hoses accommodates the routing of the longer speed sensor wires that get routed and clipped to the longer hoses.

The following users liked this post:
Mark Doiron (06-20-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I've put 2015 hubs on my 2010, I don't see why you'd see any fitment issues. Attached is a picture of how I tweaked my wire mount. The sensor wire doesn't hang as close to the u-joint and it buys extra length if you need it. I hear you on the routing of the wires behind the shocks but I haven't had issues with it set up like this.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20180619_101844.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	3.90 MB
ID:	677068   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180619_101902.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	677069  
The following users liked this post:
Rednroll (06-20-2018)

Quick Reply: Wheel bearing vs. axle bearing