Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a good external transmission cooler

Old 12-04-2017, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a good external transmission cooler

My OEM radiator blew a leak, right where all the '13 and up JK's have been having this issue.

My rig is just over 3 years so they won't warranty the radiator even though I'm under 36,000 miles.

So I'm taking the opportunity to upgrade my radiator, this time to an aluminum tank (Griffin). The issue is, my '13 JKUR is automatic transmission and therefore (I'm told) I need to add an external trans cooler.

I'm going to be stuffing it between the radiator and grille.

I'm trying to narrow down the list of cooler possibilities and would appreciate guidance from anyone who has experience with this kind of mod. I hear there are kits out there for JK's but I really don't know where to start.

At summit racing there are tons of coolers but I don't know which ones will fit in the space between grille and rad and which ones work best hooking up to a jk radiator. When I add 'JK' to my search string, it returns only OEM trans coolers, which aren't external like I need. I called them up and they weren't too much help until I can provide them with the dimensions I'm working with. I'm at work so I can't measure but I imagine somebody here might be able to help me narrow my search.

TIA!
Old 12-04-2017, 12:53 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Oceansize
The issue is, my '13 JKUR is automatic transmission and therefore (I'm told) I need to add an external trans cooler.
You were misinformed.

Take a close look at your JK. There is already an external transmission cooler. It's the first thing you see when you look through the grille.
All JK automatics have external coolers. The 2012+ JKs have a much better cooler that is larger, and better located than the earlier JKs.

Last edited by ronjenx; 12-04-2017 at 01:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-05-2017, 06:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
You were misinformed.

Take a close look at your JK. There is already an external transmission cooler. It's the first thing you see when you look through the grille.
All JK automatics have external coolers. The 2012+ JKs have a much better cooler that is larger, and better located than the earlier JKs.
If I was misinformed, I was misinformed by the company that makes my new radiator. I believe their upgraded radiator interferes with the OEM trans cooler.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:01 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Oceansize
If I was misinformed, I was misinformed by the company that makes my new radiator. I believe their upgraded radiator interferes with the OEM trans cooler.
There are still vehicles out there that have the trans fluid "cooled" in the radiator. Apparently, they don't know the JK is different.

Now, it's possible the new radiator interferes with the OEM external cooler's piping, and that is what they are referring to.

Have you looked at your own JK yet?

Last edited by ronjenx; 12-05-2017 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
You were misinformed.

Yes sir... When you look into the grill you are staring at the trans cooler. Although I believe on my 09 the lower third is for the trans and the upper 2/3 is used by the A/C.
The radiator is behind it. (Had to change mine a while back)

I have been thinking of adding an additional trans cooler myself. My JK has 203K miles on it and I think the transmission could use all the help I can provide.

Quick Reply: Looking for a good external transmission cooler