Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering issue

Old 11-21-2017, 04:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Steering issue

My stock power steering pump was failing so I picked up an AGR super pump and installed it. The Install was by the book. Cleaned the reservoir, installed pump, used proper larger belt, flushed all ATF put and replaced with GM PS fluid per instructions. Slowly worked the steering wheel with the engine off and tires off the ground to get the air out, never letting the reservoir run low.

So, crank it up, power steering is awesome! Go down the road, engine heats up. Come to a stop, power steering is gone. Get moving and the power steering is good again. I've tried everything. Hundreds more cycles with the steering wheel lock to lock, flushing the system again, I'm out of ideas. What would cause the new power steering to stop working at a stop when the engine is warm? I have google searched until im sick of it. I hope someone can shed some light on the subject. I contacted Josh at Steerco and he is suppose to call me back. He assures me his pumps are all tested before they ship and that it's almost impossible to get a faulty pump as a result. I'm not convinced...Help!
Old 11-22-2017, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it possible the belt is slipping or locking up at idle and once you give it some throttle it starts working? You sure it's routed correctly? Just a thought. Good luck
Old 11-28-2017, 04:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The belt is tight, correct fluid, definitely no air in the system at this point. It's a bad pump. I am calling them today to either confirm a new pump being sent to me, or me sending it back for a refund. I did the installation by the book, so we will see if they stand behind their product. Very disappointed thus far.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My guess is you got a bad pump. Sounds like it doesn't have enough power at idle. You get going (rpms go up) and you are fine. My stock pump did the exact same thing when I installed a ram. Upgraded to a better pump and then it was fine. I think it is a similar deal here. I would ask for a replacement pump.

Quick Reply: Steering issue