Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where did you mount your ARB Twin?

Old 08-29-2012, 11:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bet ya get some nice vibrations lol. I know put it under the passenger seat and let your girl ride shotgun.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How loud is it under the seat?
Old 08-30-2012, 01:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I run the high output ARB single. Mounted on top of rear passenger wheel well. It is a bit loud when it kicks on but it only runs for a few seconds to operate the lockers. I chose inside to keep it out of the elements. Under the seat would not work for me as I have had water up to the bottom of the seat. Can't run a compressor under water.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:28 AM
JK Freak

Under my battery
Old 08-30-2012, 07:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRockJeeper
Bet ya get some nice vibrations lol. I know put it under the passenger seat and let your girl ride shotgun.
Talk about a Jeep thing...
Old 08-30-2012, 07:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RedRockJeeper
LOL... I was thinking the same thing.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The twin-head ARB compressor is actually two of the well-proven single-head ARB compressors mounted in parallel, resulting in one of the best compressors available, and smaller than any other twin-head I know of.
Before the ARB twin existed, I had the WARN twin. It is huge compared to the ARB twin, yet the ARB inflates the wheels faster.

I wouldn't cook any compressor in the engine bay, and I think that pumping very hot air from the engine bay into the tires can't do any good.
(In the desert, the air around the engine can easily get well over 70 deg' Celsius. You can cook an egg in seconds, straight on the hood.)

Under the Jeep, the compressor is completely exposed to dust, water and mud. The very least that will happen to it is a meaningful reduction of its cooling efficiency, due to dirt accumulation, and the air filters will need frequent service.
I wouldn't want the air filters to be water-soaked when I need to inflate the tires.
Also, access is inconvenient.

In my previous JKU, an ARB twin-head was installed in the trunk, between the subwoofer and the back seat, inside a shallow metal frame. A fire extinguisher was converted into an air tank, mounted on top of the frame just above the compressor. An air pipe led to an external quick connection at the back.

For my current 4-door Rubi, I chose another rout.
There're drawers up to the level of the subwoofer bulge. I wanted to keep the top of the drawers uncluttered, so I got the ARB twin model that comes in a portable box, which also contains the air tank and all the needed stuff.
Originally I thought of buying it 'naked' and making my own box, with folding legs, but knew I won't have the time for it...

Under a seat is a good place too.
Anyone who considers mounting a compressor under a seat may want to consider this:
I added two brackets to the front legs of the back seat, so it's slanted back a bit more. This both made it more comfortable and increased the storage space under it.
Folding the back seat makes a compressor immediately accessible, which is not the case when it's under a front seat.

In any case, installing a compressor inside the Jeep has the advantages of protecting it, pumping cooler air and having better accessibility.

Last edited by GJeep; 08-30-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:19 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want one of these. Isn't the twin 100% output tho? Why would you need a tank?
Old 08-30-2012, 09:00 AM
JK Freak

According to ARB the external tank is for running tools smoothly. This thing is loud, if you run their lockers like me then the passenger may not like it so much if it's under their seat. If just airing up tires then you will probably be outside anyway.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I mounted mine in the rear on a Tuffy security deck enclosure.

Quick Reply: Where did you mount your ARB Twin?