Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where do you mount your fire extinguisher?

Old 10-15-2010, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought a roll of velcro strap and just cut 3 pieces to hold the mounting bracket onto the bottom of the rear roll bar so the extinguisher bottom actually sits ontop the rear wheel wells right in front of the tailgate. Easy on, easy off danielson!
Old 10-15-2010, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aermotor
I'm running 2x of the Halguard liquid/gas extinguishers and have a spare dry chemical one for non-vehicle fires under the seat. Simple hose clamps on the upper rollbar in the backseat. I like them there better, more easily accessed than on the back angle rollbars. They don't budge either. Velcro is weak.

Honestly I wouldn't expect that to put out a camp fire, let alone a smoldering Jeep with uber sensitive electronics... False sense of security if you ask me. Dry chemical extinguishers are the devil when it comes to car fires. I'd rather spend $250 on 2x extinguishers and have a fighting chance at saving my rig then go cheap-o.

got a good website with some products (extenguishers)? Dont know which are "best" for auto fires in the (hopefully low likelihood) event I need it. Thanks!

Last edited by mikeyut3; 10-15-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sent you a PM. You want to avoid dry chemical ones for cars all together as it will usually damage electronics beyond repair and is extremely hard to clean off upholstery. That's why I recommend the Halguard gas ones. Other benefits are you can actually see the fire while you're spraying and won't be choked by the death clouds from the dry chem ones. Good luck, be safe!
Old 10-15-2010, 09:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

but dry chem is the best for fuel fires, which is a very good chance when wheeling..
Old 10-15-2010, 11:25 PM
JK Freak

If you could get your hands on a Halon Extinguisher, that would be best, but those are hard to find now days. Just make sure you put the extinguisher somewhere with easy access because most likely you will have a dry chemical "ABC" extinguisher, and they run out quick. a 3 lb bottle will on average empty out in around 15 seconds. a 2lb bottle will last around 12 at most. CO2 works good, but with the nozzle its hard to store, but you can use those to chill your really good before you drink it!
Old 10-16-2010, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red-Dirt
If you could get your hands on a Halon Extinguisher, that would be best, but those are hard to find now days. Just make sure you put the extinguisher somewhere with easy access because most likely you will have a dry chemical "ABC" extinguisher, and they run out quick. a 3 lb bottle will on average empty out in around 15 seconds. a 2lb bottle will last around 12 at most. CO2 works good, but with the nozzle its hard to store, but you can use those to chill your really good before you drink it!
what about this:

/sportys.com/PilotShop/product/12060/?&utm_source=Google%2BBase&utm_medium=comparisonsh opping&utm_campaign=MerchantCenter[/url]

Last edited by mkjeep; 10-17-2010 at 05:38 AM. Reason: no clicky
Old 10-16-2010, 11:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mikeyut3
what about this:

/sportys.com/PilotShop/product/12060/?&utm_source=Google%2BBase&utm_medium=comparisonsh opping&utm_campaign=MerchantCenter[/url]
That Halon fire extinguisher should last around 12 seconds if it has about 2.5lbs of Halon in it, but itis the best to go with. It is more pricey, but will put the fire out faster. There is 2 different classes of Halon though, this one, which is the legal version that they are still allowed to sell, but has cut back over the past few years, and one that only federal government can get.

They cut back on these cause apparently they arent so enviromental/o-zone friendly, but they put the fire out better than any other hand held extinguisher.
The other class of Halon which only governement can really get was made illegal because it will kill you if you breath it in.

But if you can, get that extinguisher. They last a bit longer from full to empty, and is more effective.

Last edited by mkjeep; 10-17-2010 at 05:38 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default not for 2011

Originally Posted by OhhSeven
I use the DieTech OffRoad kit.

hxxp://www.dietechoffroad.com/products/jkfireextseat.htm

Works great, easy install, fastest driver accessable option (my opinion), and it's out of the way.

Only con in my opinion was I previously had a Mag light mounted there. I just moved the mag to the passenger side.
The 2011 seat base is totally different. I ordered one and am waiting on instructions on what to do.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:20 AM
JK Super Freak

I went with the Smittybuilt holder and love it.
http://w w w.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=10564
Old 02-03-2016, 09:38 PM
JK Newbie

Finally got two extinguishers successfully mounted in my 4-door Rubicon!

First, there is a 2.5-pound dry chemical ABC extinguisher mounted in back, on the roll bar as shown.

This mount consists of the bracket that came with the extingusher, attached by three screws to a piece of scrap hardwood. The wood in turn is attached to the roll bar with two hose clamps. I put some of that non-skid shelf/drawer liner material under the piece of wood and under the hose clamps.

Note I applied two strips of non-skid tape around the fire extinguisher. This particular First Alert model has a finish that is so slick and slippery, it is hard to hold onto.

So far this has been rock-solid. And definitely didn't cost much, lol. I didn't have hose clamps that size so I had to buy them. But otherwise, the scrap of wood came from my neighbor who restores furniture as a hobby, and everythig else I had on hand.

I also have a 2.5-pound Halguard clean-agent extinguisher mounted to the rollbar above the driver's door. I'm quite short so entering/exiting without knocking myself out has not been a problem!

This fire extinguisher would be the go-to in case of a fire in my jeep...the dry chemical is a back-up, or could be used on someone else's fire rather than using my expensive clean agent extinguisher!

The nice metal bracket came with the fire extinguisher. It is held to the rollbar by a couple of hose clamps. As you can see there are also some zip ties. They are left over from when I first mounted the bracket with them to test if this would work. I used some of the non-skid shelf/drawer liner between the bottom surface of the bracket and the rollbar.

I did verify with the extinguisher manufacturer that it is okay to mount this in a horizontal position.

Of course, the first part of this mounting project was to remove the cloth and foam that was covering this section of the rollbar!

This particular mounting solution may not work for all (or many), but in some cases it might be something to consider!

Quick Reply: Where do you mount your fire extinguisher?