Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where the rubber meets the road!!

Old 01-09-2007, 06:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where the rubber meets the road!!

Ok, been on the site for 2months have posted a couple, have read a ton, some very knowledgeable people, very helpfull threads. SOOO

The teraflex 4" system is in, the wheels are in, the tires are in. Now the rubber meets the road. My TJ was a 3" Teraflex w, adj. front track and lower arms.

Took me almost 15hrs, i had a 79 CJ5 w no lift, (that didnt take me any time at all.)

I have a few questions spured by members experinces.

The wheels are Mickey Thompson Classic II 17x9 they have a 5" backspace. the tire is BFG M/T 35". I am not sure if that will be sufficient, not sure if the 4" in conjunction with the arms will play a roll in any rubbing at flex and full turns. Thought maybe spacers to be safe. I recognize that 37" wi fit but in my opinion from the pics i saw on this site, without some rock rail modifications and a little grinding as well as flare adjustments, I wouldnt take it wheeling too hard. But the 5" of backspace is concerning, Discount Tire said i could return them if mounted.

Lots of comments about pitmans, but havent read alot from those that have 4" lifts, Lots of 2" and 3" so far, (manufacturing, what a joy). How would i know if i need one, EPS acting up (after i center the wheel)? Put one on my TJ, (what a pain in the !@#$%^).

How important is setting the caster and should i take it to the local 4X4 Gearshops to set that and align it. I have read that they can act squirly if not set properly and i do want to be able to drive it on the highway. does the drop pitman come into play here. Upper arms can take care of that, but the adjustment? Only had lowers on my TJ, simple adjustment.

I have not flashed the computer, and was going to after i did the tires and lift, to hopefully take care of the speedo recalibration as well, Yes?

I have already done the simple stuff, CAI, Flowmaster exhuast (relocation driver side), chip. Performance by the way is outstanding and milage runs between 18 -21. Depending and the amount of 4x4 and snow (from denver), city/highway/ mountians, ets, but that is great to me.

anyway, i was just hoping for some advise on the what i should expect on these issues and any others at 4" of lift, since more manufactures have them available now.

Keith
Old 01-09-2007, 06:42 PM
JK Newbie

Can't answer all of your questions, but I just installed my 4" Teraflex (including flexarms) and 37's. Took about 12hrs to complete.

You won't need a new pitman arm. Tera did a great job with this kit and if you follow the instructions for specific flexarm length settings, it'll handle pretty much like stock (comparing to my 4-door Rubi). There's no added bump steer at all.

Regarding caster, if you set the flexarms to the suggested lengths, there's no problem with higher speed handling. I drove approx 200 miles today (on I-25 from Denver to Ft Collins) at speeds up to 80+... felt like it did before the lift.

ESP did kick in on the on ramps, after centering the steering wheel. It'll need a reflash and speedo calibration for sure. In the mean time, I'll just turn off ESP when on the ramps.

So, you said the Teraflex 4" is in... does that mean you have it, or that it's available? Just wondering... cause I'd highly recommend it if you're looking for a kit.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:46 PM
JK Newbie

I do have it, i just dont have time to put it on for a couple weeks.

Your from the front range, I am as well.

Quick Reply: Where the rubber meets the road!!