JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Who makes the best sleeves and gussets (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/who-makes-best-sleeves-gussets-100661/)

SHRKDOC 09-13-2009 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by wayoflife (Post 1330471)
yes or at least, you need to take the load off of the coils by lowering your axle down. if you don't, the coils will prevent the gussets from sitting completely flush.

thanks for the information, time to call Northridge.

porters 09-14-2009 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by wayoflife (Post 1330469)
but they aren't needed. nice to have but far from necessary.

Oh no . . . you are not getting out of this that easily. :no2:

I still have to give you just a little bit of crap for spending money on unnecessary, nice to have, sleeves for Nemo. :wink: You advised me I was wasting my money on sleeves, and then you went and got some yourself. That deserves a little razzing! :bleh:

Still, you are the only guy I know that bent the tubes on his rear D44. Well done that. For you front and rear D60s are necessary. :thumbsup: For the rest of us, dual D60 are nice to have. :brows:

Originally Posted by wayoflife (Post 1330469)

as i have said before, reinforcing your C's is really what you need to do more than anything as that is a proven weak point and they will bend. and, if you're gonna play really hard and with big tires, upgrading to a D60 really is the better way to go as your axle tubes bending will be the least of your concerns. beefing up your axle tubes to with inner and now with crazy overkill outter sleeves won't do squat for the parts of your axle that really matter - things like your axle shafts, u-joints and ring & pinion. trust me, they will all break way before your axle tube starts to bend.

That sounds a lot like what I said a few posts up. We are in agreement! :cheers:

Originally Posted by porters (Post 1330301)
Combine sleeves with the C Gussets and Control arm skids and the strength of the axle housing is formidable.

The next part of the equation is the strength of the internal axle components. Shafts, carrier, ring and pinion (R&P), etc. Internal components also need strengthening to run larger tires without significant risk of breakage. You can add cromo shafts that are significantly stronger than stock shafts. You can add a new locker/carrier from ARB or others that significantly increase the strength of the carrier. You can heat treat the R&P for some increase in strength as well.

Ryanc 09-14-2009 09:23 AM

With the cost of the sleeves, wouldnt you think having these installed is a no braininer?:thinking: I just purchased the sleeves and thought for sure I needed them.:dontknow2:

porters 09-14-2009 09:27 AM

Sleeves sure make you feel better even if they are not necessary. If you are having gussets welded you might as well as sleeves since they are so cheep.

wayoflife 09-14-2009 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by porters (Post 1331535)
Oh no . . . you are not getting out of this that easily. :no2:

I still have to give you just a little bit of crap for spending money on unnecessary, nice to have, sleeves for Nemo. :wink: You advised me I was wasting my money on sleeves, and then you went and got some yourself. That deserves a little razzing! :bleh:

Still, you are the only guy I know that bent the tubes on his rear D44. Well done that. For you front and rear D60s are necessary. :thumbsup: For the rest of us, dual D60 are nice to have. :brows:

That sounds a lot like what I said a few posts up. We are in agreement! :cheers:

:rotflmao1: LOL!! fair enough. i will agree that they are nice to have but i still stand by the fact that they are not needed. regarding my rear d44 being bent, i did not bend it - off road evolution did back when they were running 40's on it and hammering it on the ultimate adventure. after blowing up my rear end, they lent me the axle until i could afford a 60. i should also point out that in the end, i recenetly blew up my ring & pinion again on this axle and am currently out of commission. again, it was NOT the axle tubes that left me high and dry but rather, the components inside. you can beef up your housing all you want but in the end, beefing them up is far from necessary. as far as the front goes, even till the day i blew it up, it still wasn't bent but.... if you can afford it, yes, the off road evolution inner sleeves are nice to have just in case. :yup:

AZOverland 09-14-2009 09:48 AM

opted for ORE gussets and control skids and not the Mag 44's - running 37's on my front D44

porters 09-14-2009 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by wayoflife (Post 1331573)
regarding my rear d44 being bent, i did not bend it - off road evolution did back when they were running 40's on it and hammering it on the ultimate adventure. after blowing up my rear end, they lent me the axle until i could afford a 60. i should also point out that in the end, i recently blew up my ring & pinion again on this axle and am currently out of commission. :yup:

Moby Dick is in dry dock eh? :naw:

Sorry to hear that, I hope you at least had fun breaking it. Another D60 for you eh?

Lets see some picks of Little Nemo on the trail then. I have been waiting to see that OEM LT lift flex with those GoodYear Kevlars. :thumbsup:

Evolution 09-14-2009 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by porters (Post 1330301)
Good question.

The internal sleeves are smaller in diameter than the stock tubes so internal sleeves only increase the tube strength by about 30%.

Sounds like you have read up on the subject. I know the guy that wrote it :rotflmao2:

Originally Posted by evolution (Post 995451)
There is no need for destructive testing, although it would have been fun. I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering and I calculated the increase in strength through a series of mathmatical equations of which I will not get into too much detail as it takes about a full page of calculations.

Bending strength of a tube has very little to do with a materials wall thickness and alot to do with its section modulous (outer diameter/inner diameters).

Calculation of a tubes bending strength takes into account many factors including material section modulous, inner and outer diameters, material properties etc.

Basically increaseing the tubes outer diameter has a much greater effect on its strength than increaseing the tubes wall thickness with the same outer diameter.

The uncomplicated, general idea of the calculation:

Increasing a tubes outer diameter by .250 (with same wall thickness) will double its bending strength while just increasing its wall thickness by .250" (same outer diameter) will increase its bending strength by 30%

For general example:

2.50" Outer Diameter tube, .250" wall thickness (stock axle tube) has a bending strength of 1
2.75" Outer Diameter tube, .250" wall thickness has a bending strength of 2
2.50" Outer Diameter tube, .500" wall thickness (sleeved axle) has a bending strength of 1.3

Overall, a 30% increase is alot stronger than a stock axle without a sleeve.

Stock seal is still retained
3/8" - 1/2" holes work great

Andrew Perle
Product Engineer
Off Road Evolution MFG

porters 09-14-2009 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by evolution (Post 1332021)
Sounds like you have read up on the subject. I know the guy that wrote it :rotflmao2:

I am not worthy! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I love my EVO stuff by the way. I wish I had more cash to buy more EVO stuff. Those coil overs look particularly tasty. :yup:

wayoflife 09-14-2009 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by porters (Post 1331902)
Moby Dick is in dry dock eh? :naw:

Sorry to hear that, I hope you at least had fun breaking it. Another D60 for you eh?

Lets see some picks of Little Nemo on the trail then. I have been waiting to see that OEM LT lift flex with those GoodYear Kevlars. :thumbsup:

it's all good except for the fact that moby dick has been out of commission for the last two weeks and will most likely be out for another month. :sad2: as far as fun goes, yeah, here's a post i made about our adventures over the summer:

Project-JK Moby Dick Endurance Test - 9 Trails in 6 Weeks

as far as lil' nemo goes, we've taken her out and will be running her a lot more in the months to come especially being that moby dick is in the infirmary waiting for a transplant. here are a few pics of nemo at niagara rim....

http://project-jk.com/gallery2/main...._itemId=141447

http://project-jk.com/gallery2/main...._itemId=141198

http://project-jk.com/gallery2/main...._itemId=141156