Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the stock rubicon rock rails be an issue ?

Old 11-16-2015, 06:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bonedoc
Never had to cut mine. I have a 5.5" lift with 37s. I used my adjustable control arms to re-center my rear tire in my wheel well....absolutely no issues.
Do you still not rub at compression? My concern would be that if you're centered at ride height, you'd be pushing the tire towards the rear of the wheel well when the tire is compressed up into the wheel well
Old 11-16-2015, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jzsquared. I have 35's and a 3.5 AEV lift and I had to trim mine I don't recall how much but I made it flush. Great advice on here. I too only had a sawzall. I got the rescue metal blades. Taped it off. Clamped it on the vise and took my time using plenty of wd40 as I cut. Then used the flat black rust oleum to touch it up and I put the stock rubber cover back in using a dab of epoxy

2015 JKUR, Anvil, 3.5" AEV, 35x12.5R17 Nitto Trail Grapplers, Bestop Trektop Pro, TruckLites, Poison Spyder Stubby, Smittybilt 12.5 XRC, Red Prolink, EVO rear bumper cover, Banks CAI & Cat Back,
Old 11-16-2015, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

And yes before I trimmed mine would start rubbing as soon as I started flexing a little

2015 JKUR, Anvil, 3.5" AEV, 35x12.5R17 Nitto Trail Grapplers, Bestop Trektop Pro, TruckLites, Poison Spyder Stubby, Smittybilt 12.5 XRC, Red Prolink, EVO rear bumper cover, Banks CAI & Cat Back,
Old 11-16-2015, 08:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonedoc
Never had to cut mine. I have a 5.5" lift with 37s. I used my adjustable control arms to re-center my rear tire in my wheel well....absolutely no issues.
How much bump stop?
Old 11-16-2015, 09:51 AM
JK Newbie

I don't see the need. I run 2 1/2 AEV lift with 315 70 17 Duratracs. I have approximately 7/8" clearance static and that changes only slightly even at full stuff since as the wheel goes up it also goes slightly to the rear. Is my setup just magic or what is the difference? I also run Bushwacker flares and the Rubi rail ends exactly in line with the inside of the flare. If anything is going to rub it would be the flare, especially if I stubbed the rail and that just doesn't happen. I would suggest to the OP to make whatever changes he wants to make and then flex the thing to see if there is actually a problem before worrying about it.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AirJordan613
Do you still not rub at compression? My concern would be that if you're centered at ride height, you'd be pushing the tire towards the rear of the wheel well when the tire is compressed up into the wheel well
No rubbing
Old 11-16-2015, 12:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
How much bump stop?
I have to measure. I have what Rock Krawler recommended for this lift. It comes close to hitting the fender but doesn't, it did rub slightly on full compression the back most portion of the fender liner that sticks down beyond the fender. Trimmed it off so no issues there.. Once I go flat fender I'll have even more and can hopefully shorten my bump stops a little for more uptravel
Old 10-07-2016, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone have issues with rubbing on the Rubicon Hardrock rock rails? I am wondering if adjustable rear control arms will prevent rubbing and the need for cutting the rails?
Old 10-07-2016, 02:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnNoble
Anyone have issues with rubbing on the Rubicon Hardrock rock rails? I am wondering if adjustable rear control arms will prevent rubbing and the need for cutting the rails?
Just cut them and be done with them. Takes about a 1/2 hour.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I could cut them it prefer not to. Anyone know of another way to avoid rubbing? Like control arms tire center the axle? Does that work?

Quick Reply: Will the stock rubicon rock rails be an issue ?