Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will they fit?

Old 10-28-2017, 02:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will they fit?

I have a 2017 JKU Smoky Mountain. My plan is to install a 3” suspension lift to run 35x12.50x18 tires. I really like the stock wheels which are 18x7.5. I’m looking at the Toyo Open Country RT tires. Does anyone have experience as to if these tires will fit on the stock rim without issues? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-28-2017, 02:24 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Yes, but ...

Look at the specs for that tire, you will find a recommended rim width range. Some shops will refuse to mount wide tires on stock rims, since they are narrower than the mfg's spec. Verify with your installer before buying, or check with other shops. (just looked at the specs for those tires: 8.5 - 11")

The general recommendation for 35x12.50 tires is a 4.5" backspace on the rims. Stock rim backspace is around 6.25". So if you run the stock rims, you will probably want to add wheel spacers to move them out. (like Spydertrax 1.5" spacers, not the thin ones that sandwich in between)

You might consider just selling the stock rims and buying new rims with the appropriate specs.

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-28-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Yes, but ...

Look at the specs for that tire, you will find a recommended rim width range. Some shops will refuse to mount wide tires on stock rims, since they are narrower than the mfg's spec. Verify with your installer before buying, or check with other shops. (just looked at the specs for those tires: 8.5 - 11")

The general recommendation for 35x12.50 tires is a 4.5" backspace on the rims. Stock rim backspace is around 6.25". So if you run the stock rims, you will probably want to add wheel spacers to move them out. (like Spydertrax 1.5" spacers, not the thin ones that sandwich in between)

You might consider just selling the stock rims and buying new rims with the appropriate specs.
Hits all the main points. Going to need spacers or new wheels. Some, including myself, are getting away with 4.75in backspacing on that width of tire, but not everyone. I do have some rubbing at full flex/full lock, but it isn’t bad. With the stock wheels, you will rub on the sway bar links, and all sorts of other stuff. It won’t really be drivable without 1.25 or 1.5in spacers. If you go with 1.25in spacers you will have to grind the tops of the wheel studs, so I would say just go with the 1.5in if you go that route.

Happy Jeeping!

Quick Reply: Will they fit?