Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this worth it?

Old 02-02-2007, 01:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this worth it?

First off, I want to say this is a great forum. First Wrangler (Had a 72 Commando) and I have learned a lot here.

I have a new Unlimited Sahara and want to know if you guys think this mod is worth while. The Sahara is a 4x4 with factory 18" wheels. The 255/70 Bridgestone Dueler A/T RH-S's measure 32.1" and I would like to run something slightly larger. I sell real estate and I drive in offroad conditions frequently but the majority of the time I am staying on the pavement. The Jeep can't be lifted too high or custmers will have a hard time getting in.

My idea:

Run 265/70 R18 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's on the factory 18" wheels and install a M.O.R.E. 1" Spacer Lift. The Revo's are 32.6" which only gives me 0.5" over the factory tires, but they are more aggressive. They do not come in a 275/70 R18 which would have been perfect.

My Question: Is it worth spending the money ($168 per tire at Tirerack.com) for just 0.5" more tire and is the 1" spacer lift the way to go. I want a factory ride with a little more clearance and a little more off road capability.

I appreciate any comments or suggestions!
Old 02-02-2007, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would personally say it's not worth it, but either way, you're not gonna need any lift for half an inch more tire diameter. Note that this gives you a quarter of an inch more ground clearance (essentially unnoticeable). It will just fill up your wheel wells a little more. Also note your speedo is going to be a little bit off, the dealers can only correct up to a 32" tire.

Basically you're getting a slightly more aggressive A/T tire design. It's not going to get you anywhere that your stockers wouldn't though. If you needed to replace your tires anyway I'd say definitely make the slight upgrade, but otherwise no way in my personal opinion. Spend the $900 on other goodies and upgrade the tires when they need to be replaced anyway.

-E
Old 02-02-2007, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

Is the consensus that it unless I go to a full 33" tire that the 1" spacer lift is not worth it?

If so, any suggestions on a 33" tire that would be comparable to the Dueler A/T Revo?
Old 02-02-2007, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

I just ordered the Toyo AT 33x12.5x15. Reviews made me believe the road noise would be minimal. I'm in Real Estate too and was going for the same reasoning, but I really had to step up and just do it. Clients will love the attitude!!
Old 02-03-2007, 04:34 AM
JK Newbie

I will check those out and see if they will fit the 18" wheels. I almost worked on a project in Hiawassee as well. Do you sell land?
Old 02-03-2007, 01:23 PM
JK Newbie

No I don't think its worth it. I think you should go with at least 33s. I have 33s on my Bronco and they measure 31.5 inches tall. The same as my duelers on my 18s. So 33s should fit pretty much stock. But you should probally get some wheel 1.5" wheel spacers. Maybe a front spacer to level out stance and add more clearance.

I am also a Realtor working mostly in Southern Maryland. I am probally going to get a 2" to 2.5" spacer lift and 33" to 34" tires. If any of my clients have trouble getting in or out they will just have to follow me or we will just have to take there car.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:54 PM
JK Newbie

That's funny! One of my co-workers got a 4" lift on his Lexus SUV and practically has to push people up into it. Maybe I will just have to carry a stool with me!

I am leaning more towards a 33" tire and 1" spacer lift now. Hopefully someone else has experience with this.

Quick Reply: Is this worth it?