Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your Opinion on these C Gusset Welds - PICs Provided

Old 10-10-2017, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rsbmg
I would think if they didn't already screw up your ball joints the second go around on the welds will.
The welds near the ball joints look fine.. At this point in not sure what to do. This whole thing sucks.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:25 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like they welded those with a Hershey Bar and a Brick!!

I wouldn't let them touch it... get your money back and go to a professional.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YukonBlu
The welds near the ball joints look fine.. At this point in not sure what to do. This whole thing sucks.
It's not really how they look per se but judging by the welds I'm guessing this person was not experienced enough to know that you cant just lay the torch on their and weld them on without letting things cool.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would leave them and just keep checking them. The welds look like they will hold. I think your risking to much for a pretty weld that's going to get painted and covered. Defiantly wouldn't use that shop again...for welding anyways
Old 10-10-2017, 02:50 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

problem is they were not most likely needed in the first place because if you were going to bend the C you most likely need heavier axles to begin with. If you are like me that would eat at me so I would eventually get a J8 housing or TF housing etc. I guess before I let the shop redo them I would want to make sure they actually had a different welder who knew what he was doing.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rsbmg
It's not really how they look per se but judging by the welds I'm guessing this person was not experienced enough to know that you cant just lay the torch on their and weld them on without letting things cool.
Originally Posted by jchappies
I would leave them and just keep checking them. The welds look like they will hold. I think your risking to much for a pretty weld that's going to get painted and covered. Defiantly wouldn't use that shop again...for welding anyways
Originally Posted by jadmt
problem is they were not most likely needed in the first place because if you were going to bend the C you most likely need heavier axles to begin with. If you are like me that would eat at me so I would eventually get a J8 housing or TF housing etc. I guess before I let the shop redo them I would want to make sure they actually had a different welder who knew what he was doing.
Well i know the guy and he is in the local jeep club i am in, well several clubs i am in on Facebook. He owns a pretty big shop with multiple employees. I am going to give him a chance to fix it.. which he said he was going to, he was not like fix what or anything like that, he just said he could grind out the welds and fix it.... so i assume he knows how bad the job was. I recommended to him that he buy another gusset kit which is like $58... but he said that he could fix the issue without buying one. I told him that the entire job is gonna have to be redone so i am going to leave him my jeep for about a day and a half. Here is the thing, i can be the nicest guy and be completely understanding in certain situations. And i understand that this may be more of a cosmetic issue than a function issue. But my jeep cost me over $30,000...!!. That is a lot of money to me... i am not rich! So if the job is not done correctly and my D44 with only 20k miles on it comes back and looks butchered i will unleash the wraith of god... i shit you not, just gonna leave it at that. Btw, in the future... about 2 years from now i do plan on upgrading front and rear axles and i want to be able to sell the ones that are on it.... so i don't want them to look like shit when im trying to sell them. Anyways... that was my rant for the night. Sorry if that is to much... but just think if it was your Jeep. ya know

Last edited by YukonBlu; 10-10-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:50 AM
JK Super Freak

On my previous jeep, I did the C gussets myself. I taught myself to weld on that jeep and it wasn’t pretty. I wheeled pretty hard and the Cs were fine. That said, I wouldn’t worry about having them redone. Just check the welds periodically.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:38 AM
JK Freak

The way I see it - the gusset is there for reinforcement and it's not supporting the weight of your jeep. It's sharing the load of your c's which is already supporting your vehicle. I did mine myself with a 110v fluxcore welder (not ideal) - it's all I had at the time.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Weld Update.... check out these new pics.

Took back in to get the welds fixed... check out new welds!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	weld10.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	675611 Click image for larger version

Name:	weld20.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	675612 Click image for larger version

Name:	weld30.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	675613
Old 10-20-2017, 04:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Now that's a good weld. Good penetration. Hopefully they protected the ball joints with some cool rags.

Quick Reply: Your Opinion on these C Gusset Welds - PICs Provided