JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Your Opinion on these C Gusset Welds - PICs Provided (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/your-opinion-these-c-gusset-welds-pics-provided-343901/)

YukonBlu 10-08-2017 05:57 PM

Your Opinion on these C Gusset Welds - PICs Provided

6 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, so i went and got my gears installed and while i was at it i had them weld on C Gussets to my inner Cs. I am a pretty picky person when it comes to my jeep, well really picky. In the pics i provided you see the welds on the inner Cs. I have seen good welds and also have looked at other jobs where the inner Cs Gussets were welded on and looked really good. But to me the welds on my Cs don't look so good. I need some opinions on this, and what should i do about it. Some of the welds look
ok, and some of them look terrible to me. Thanks

WELD UPDATE... SEE MY LAST POST WITH NEW PICS!!
Attachment 675343Attachment 675344Attachment 675345Attachment 675346Attachment 675347Attachment 675348

karls10jk 10-09-2017 02:31 AM

Someone was inexperienced or in a hurry when they did it. You can grind the welds out and re-weld them if you'd like. With welding it's really more about penetration underneath and less about how pretty they are. Those welds look to be a cross between not enough heat and 'jumping'...almost like tack weld :naw:

Granted....It can be harder to do the overhead weld and you want to avoid putting too much heat up at the bj area but your welder should be competent in these areas.

T&ERun 10-09-2017 04:06 AM

Yep, not enough heat or too fast on the wire speed. Cold welds with not a lot of penetration.

caryt 10-09-2017 08:27 AM

Perfect example of someone who doesn't know how to weld...get your $ back.

YukonBlu 10-09-2017 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by karls10jk (Post 4305622)
Someone was inexperienced or in a hurry when they did it. You can grind the welds out and re-weld them if you'd like. With welding it's really more about penetration underneath and less about how pretty they are. Those welds look to be a cross between not enough heat and 'jumping'...almost like tack weld :naw:

Granted....It can be harder to do the overhead weld and you want to avoid putting too much heat up at the bj area but your welder should be competent in these areas.

So I talked to the shop and they said they would grind out the welds and redo them. Do you think I should redo everything? I'm not trying to damage my axle.

resharp001 10-09-2017 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by YukonBlu (Post 4305653)
So I talked to the shop and they said they would grind out the welds and redo them. Do you think I should redo everything? I'm not trying to damage my axle.

Man, what a PITA. I'd hate to be the person that has to grind all that and redo it. Sucks all the way around....for them and for you even having to deal with it.

I'd be on the fence myself for the same reason you're questioning it. They didn't do it right to begin with.....you want those same people grinding on the axle now and redoing it? :gak: It might not be perfect, but I wonder if it's still good enough to serve it's function, and maybe the angle should be some sort of refund instead.

Subscribed to see what others say.

karls10jk 10-09-2017 03:12 PM

If the gussets are at the correct angle for bracing the C then I'd leave it be and find someone else to burn in over top of it. You won't burn up your seals by having your gusset work redone but it could toast your bj's.

I'm sure the shop would be professional about the work but if you're the guy who has to grind out the weld with avoid destroying the functionality of those brackets.....you'd be pissed and probably in a hurry to get the pain over with.

T&ERun 10-10-2017 04:11 AM

Find a shop that can re-weld them but using tig. If you're good with a tig torch you can redo those using the existing filler, compared to adding more filler with mig. It will look much better and it would be stronger. If I were close to you I would do it for you.

YukonBlu 10-10-2017 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by karls10jk (Post 4305666)
If the gussets are at the correct angle for bracing the C then I'd leave it be and find someone else to burn in over top of it. You won't burn up your seals by having your gusset work redone but it could toast your bj's.

I'm sure the shop would be professional about the work but if you're the guy who has to grind out the weld with avoid destroying the functionality of those brackets.....you'd be pissed and probably in a hurry to get the pain over with.

Originally Posted by T&ERun (Post 4305698)
Find a shop that can re-weld them but using tig. If you're good with a tig torch you can redo those using the existing filler, compared to adding more filler with mig. It will look much better and it would be stronger. If I were close to you I would do it for you.

Well the shop said they would fix it, so I guess I will let them try. Do you think I should have them fix all the welds?

rsbmg 10-10-2017 08:56 AM

I would think if they didn't already screw up your ball joints the second go around on the welds will.