Your Opinion on these C Gusset Welds - PICs Provided - Page 2

Your Opinion on these C Gusset Welds - PICs Provided

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by rsbmg View Post
    I would think if they didn't already screw up your ball joints the second go around on the welds will.
    The welds near the ball joints look fine.. At this point in not sure what to do. This whole thing sucks.

Looks like they welded those with a Hershey Bar and a Brick!!

I wouldn't let them touch it... get your money back and go to a professional.

3" Icon Vehicle Dynamics Lift | TF Tuned Fox Shocks w/reservoirs | Rock Krawler Adj Track Bar | Rancho Adj Control Arms | RockHard 4x4 Sport Cage | Bushwhacker Flat Fenders | 17" Icon Vehicle Dynamics Wheels | 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers| JCR Offroad Front and Rear Bumpers | Highlift Jack | RR 12K w/Synthetic Line | SPOD | Rigid Duallys | Truck-lite LEDs | 50" Light Bar | Alloy USA Chromoly Shafts & 4:88 Gears

It's a dogs life...

JK Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by YukonBlu View Post
    The welds near the ball joints look fine.. At this point in not sure what to do. This whole thing sucks.
    It's not really how they look per se but judging by the welds I'm guessing this person was not experienced enough to know that you cant just lay the torch on their and weld them on without letting things cool.

I would leave them and just keep checking them. The welds look like they will hold. I think your risking to much for a pretty weld that's going to get painted and covered. Defiantly wouldn't use that shop again...for welding anyways
    11 JKUR Auto, RIPP SC, Body Armor bumper, Warn XD9000I winch, Synthetic line,XRC Rear Bumper W/carrier, OBA W/1Gal Tank, 10lb CO2, Metalcloak 3.5 springs, Synergy track bar,drag link flip-Tie Rod, control arms and Ball Joints, C-gusset and sleeved, RuffStuff Diff. covers, FOX W\res shocks, Barricade Flat Fenders, Redneck Ram, 37 12.50\17 BFG KO2, 5.38 Motive gears, Uniden 520xl CB, Yaesu FT7900, Teraflex Big Rotors, Diablo Intune, Dynomax RC exhaust. W3JEP San Diego Jeep Club-Gulf War Vet. USAF

problem is they were not most likely needed in the first place because if you were going to bend the C you most likely need heavier axles to begin with. If you are like me that would eat at me so I would eventually get a J8 housing or TF housing etc. I guess before I let the shop redo them I would want to make sure they actually had a different welder who knew what he was doing.
    2016 JKR AEV 3.5, toyo 35/12.5-17 on aev saltas and also 285/75-17 Cooper ST Maxx on stock rims. losts of armor

Quote Originally Posted by rsbmg View Post
    It's not really how they look per se but judging by the welds I'm guessing this person was not experienced enough to know that you cant just lay the torch on their and weld them on without letting things cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by jchappies View Post
    I would leave them and just keep checking them. The welds look like they will hold. I think your risking to much for a pretty weld that's going to get painted and covered. Defiantly wouldn't use that shop again...for welding anyways
    Quote Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
    problem is they were not most likely needed in the first place because if you were going to bend the C you most likely need heavier axles to begin with. If you are like me that would eat at me so I would eventually get a J8 housing or TF housing etc. I guess before I let the shop redo them I would want to make sure they actually had a different welder who knew what he was doing.
    Well i know the guy and he is in the local jeep club i am in, well several clubs i am in on Facebook. He owns a pretty big shop with multiple employees. I am going to give him a chance to fix it.. which he said he was going to, he was not like fix what or anything like that, he just said he could grind out the welds and fix it.... so i assume he knows how bad the job was. I recommended to him that he buy another gusset kit which is like $58... but he said that he could fix the issue without buying one. I told him that the entire job is gonna have to be redone so i am going to leave him my jeep for about a day and a half. Here is the thing, i can be the nicest guy and be completely understanding in certain situations. And i understand that this may be more of a cosmetic issue than a function issue. But my jeep cost me over $30,000...!!. That is a lot of money to me... i am not rich! So if the job is not done correctly and my D44 with only 20k miles on it comes back and looks butchered i will unleash the wraith of god... i shit you not, just gonna leave it at that. Btw, in the future... about 2 years from now i do plan on upgrading front and rear axles and i want to be able to sell the ones that are on it.... so i don't want them to look like shit when im trying to sell them. Anyways... that was my rant for the night. Sorry if that is to much... but just think if it was your Jeep. ya know
    Last edited by YukonBlu; 10-11-2017 at 12:49 AM.

On my previous jeep, I did the C gussets myself. I taught myself to weld on that jeep and it wasn’t pretty. I wheeled pretty hard and the Cs were fine. That said, I wouldn’t worry about having them redone. Just check the welds periodically.
    SOLD:
    '11 JKU Rubi
    stubby LoD Bumpers
    Warn PP
    PC 7005
    40" Nitto MG
    TF 4"/Front and Rear CAs
    LightForce 170
    ProCal
    MPAC rack
    TF SS
    TF Diff Covers
    TF C gussets
    EVO front LCA skids
    Safari Straps cargo net
    PSC rocker armor
    JKS spring perches
    spidertrax
    EVO Magnum tubes
    RCV shafts

SOLD:
    09 2Dr Rubi with all the fixin's

Northridge4x4

The way I see it - the gusset is there for reinforcement and it's not supporting the weight of your jeep. It's sharing the load of your c's which is already supporting your vehicle. I did mine myself with a 110v fluxcore welder (not ideal) - it's all I had at the time.
    Old jeep - '08 wrangler X unlimited, 6sp, Teraflex 2.5" coil lift w/ome LT shocks, 35" KM2's on 15" BlackRock 909D, TF LCA, RCV axles
    New jeep - 2014 unlimited Rubi. 6sp, metal cloak 3.5 GC ARB edition, 37" km2, 17" method beadlocks,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12