Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your thoughts on rear sway bar disconnects

Old 06-26-2018, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Your thoughts on rear sway bar disconnects

I know many don't recommend rear discos due to associated hazard risks.

However, I recently purchased some new Steinjager front disco links where they will be replacing the Mopar disco links I currently have installed on the front. Nothing wrong with the Mopar fronts other than the Steinjagers seem much less hassle to disconnect. (ie no tools needed).

It got me wondering what to do with the Mopars where I started to consider moving them to the rear to at least give myself the option to disco the rear for offroad only use. Seemed like a better use for them, rather than throwing them in my parts box in the garage, likely to be forgotten.

Any thoughts? Good idea? Bad idea? Disconnecting the rears are worthless? Too dangerous? Other?

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-26-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:39 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

If you're looking for max articulation on an RTI ramp, this would help, but this is not something that you are going to like out wheelin'. LOL, it is a whole new ball game IMO. If you're wheeling isn't in major off camber, climbing situations, you're not going to notice it, so no sense disconnecting (the rear sway will give some and you get plenty of articulation as it is). If you're wheeling is in those types of situations AND you disconnect, you better have decent sphincter control and get used to how the body of the jeep now moves. Not only that, but you had better make sure your brake lines are indeed long enough, and you have all other proper clearances.

Limiting factor in the rear is usually either 1) shocks, or 2) sway bar. Since most aren't running long travel shocks, it's likely wouldn't see much additional droop at all before shock bottoms out. If you are running long travel shocks and disconnect....again better be prepared for what that additional flex feels like.

I'm not certain what those particular links look like, but you have much less clearance to work with back there as well. There is a reason you don't see quick disconnects sold for the rear.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:51 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
If you're looking for max articulation on an RTI ramp, this would help, but this is not something that you are going to like out wheelin'. LOL, it is a whole new ball game IMO. If you're wheeling isn't in major off camber, climbing situations, you're not going to notice it, so no sense disconnecting (the rear sway will give some and you get plenty of articulation as it is). If you're wheeling is in those types of situations AND you disconnect, you better have decent sphincter control and get used to how the body of the jeep now moves. Not only that, but you had better make sure your brake lines are indeed long enough, and you have all other proper clearances.

Limiting factor in the rear is usually either 1) shocks, or 2) sway bar. Since most aren't running long travel shocks, it's likely wouldn't see much additional droop at all before shock bottoms out. If you are running long travel shocks and disconnect....again better be prepared for what that additional flex feels like.

I'm not certain what those particular links look like, but you have much less clearance to work with back there as well. There is a reason you don't see quick disconnects sold for the rear.
really the only modification he will need to run disconnected in the back is a good roll cage..........
Old 06-26-2018, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by resharp001
The Mopar links look like such: What made them a pain is because you had to feed the cotter pin through a small hole in the bottom large nut portion which prevents that large nut portion from coming loose, then you had to take a wrench to loosen that nut. Then putting them back together was more of a pain because you had to tighten that nut to get the tiny holes to align to then try and feed that cotter pin back through them. Definitely not quick, and required a pair of pliers for the pin, and a wrench to disconnect.

The reason I had started to consider this is because when I was shopping around for the Steinjager fronts, I noticed they also made rear disconnects links and started to consider my current fronts could be used in the rear if there was ever a rare occasion I thought disconnecting the rears may be beneficial. By the sounds of it, it definitely seems like it wouldn't be a benefit but since I had the links already, and had originally paid $135 for them, I had considered it may be a useful option to have available.

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-26-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:44 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Y, I totally get being "thrifty". I'll say given my previous commentary, you can take my comments with a grain of salt based on what you think or perceive my jeep usage to be. I will say this.....I do not disconnect myself....and STILL fine myself in more than plenty of pucker factor moments. I'll sit back and see if anyone else chimes in. I've said my peace.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your sway bar should NEVER limit your travel. Your travel should only be limited by shocks or limiting straps.

I would never disconnect your rear sway bar. There really is no value. It's not a safety issue as much as a stability and balance roll characteristics.

If your jeep is set up correctly the rear sway bar should not limit travel. If it does you have different problems.

IMO the best sway bar setup is front and rear antirock.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:44 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Rednroll.....was messing around with some DS/gas skid clearance issues last night and had the rear jacked up a bit. Just can't flex this thing out much in the driveway, but you're gonna get the idea here. Look at what the sway bar is doing on each side. Good real world example of why you don't really need to disconnect back there. It is not like up front.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I agree, the added stability is nice. I fully ditched my rear sway bar a while back though. IMO it's not too important if your suspension is set up well though. This past weekend I accidentally led our group into a 10 miles ATV trail. Didn't realize until we were an hour in as the trees started to get much tighter, and the inclines got much steeper and sketchier. Didn't help that it was slick. Two of the 4 doors scraped their paint and sides on the trees, but no one flopped (although it got hairy at one point). I'd say try it out, but unless you're looking for maximum travel it's better to keep it in. If your suspension is set up properly, you won't flop it when you're off-camber; It definitely adds pucker factor though, but that's always fun.

Helps on the RTI ramp, although I can't even fully droop the rear shocks on the RTI. I usually see the extra travel in the rocks when the rear is at full droop. Warning: unimpressive poser shots:

Last edited by BoraBora; 06-29-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for all the info. Seems best I skip this idea, I'm not really looking for any pucker factor.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

After I discovered the rear links on my rig were limiting droop one of the guys working Metalcloak's articulation trailer suggested just removing the rear bar entirely. I've run it this way for a year now. Noticed no real lack of stability or increased body roll on highway, and better articulation on the trails. Might try it and see how you like it.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on rear sway bar disconnects