Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LoD rear bumper reviews needed

Old 07-31-2012, 11:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LoD rear bumper reviews needed

Hi there, I'm looking for any user experiences relating to the "LoD Jeep JK Shorty Signature Series Rear Bumper w/ Generation 3 Tire Carrier", preferably on a 2011 or 2012 JKU.

Does anyone have any direct experience with this bumper, from installation, usage, maintenance, fit and finish to product durability?

Thanks - Rob
Old 07-31-2012, 01:18 PM
MTG
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by morb
Hi there, I'm looking for any user experiences relating to the "LoD Jeep JK Shorty Signature Series Rear Bumper w/ Generation 3 Tire Carrier", preferably on a 2011 or 2012 JKU.

Does anyone have any direct experience with this bumper, from installation, usage, maintenance, fit and finish to product durability?

Thanks - Rob
Recently installed it on my 2012. Fits great! Installation was straightforward. It helped to have someone lift it (it's heavy!), but I did do it myself the first time (you have to install it, mark holes, remove it, drill holes, then install it). Works perfectly. I didn't get the integrated carrier...the classic design works fine for me. Banged it pretty good on a run two weeks ago and it hardly left a mark. Maintenance: there is a zerk fitting on the spindle....haven't greased it yet.

Not sure what else you want to know, but I'm happy to answer any questions you have. PM me.

Few pics of mine here: LOD signature shorty installed
Old 07-31-2012, 04:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Love it, I have smashed it pretty good on the rocks and this thing just takes it
Old 07-31-2012, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

You had to drill holes into the frame?
Old 07-31-2012, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine is holding up great. Installation was pretty easy with a second set of hands. I love mine. I did have to drill a couple of holes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-158433210.jpg
Views:	990
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	348184
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2074456793.jpg
Views:	764
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	348181  
Old 07-31-2012, 05:35 PM
JK Freak

Mine is on order right now I used to have a full width and sold it for a shorty. They are built crazy tough!
Old 07-31-2012, 07:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed mine by myself and a floor jack. It was pretty straight forward once you install the first time you'll mark a hole on each side of the frame and drill it. Then reinstall the bumper and install the additional bolts. It's built really well my only complaint is the the rear fog lights. If or when one goes out I'll need to drop the bumper to replace the bulb or light.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Got the Gen2 on my '07 and my only complaint is my third brake light and it didn't hold up to any high speed with whoops havin my 37 inch spare
Old 08-01-2012, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have that bumper. I had a little bit of help with the install. The bumper is sturdy, carrier is strong. One complaint I have is the locking pin that holds the tailgate open at 90 degrees does not have a grease fitting. The pin sticks inside the sleeve and does not move easily. I've sprayed it with lubricants a few times but it doesn't last long. It could be a result of salty winter roads corroding the insides.

Other than that, I'm quite pleased with it. Looks good, holds the tire solidly, latches tight with no wiggles or rattles... It's taken a few hits on rocks with no movement and minimal scratching of the powdercoat. I'd buy it again.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:48 PM
JK Newbie

Very very happy with my LoD rear Stubby (I have a matching front as well) - install was easy - just make sure you follow their directions
and get the alignment correct BEFORE you drill into the frame.

Came out real nice. No rattles, fit is amazing. Function is 100%!! I even got a mount point for my hi-lift.
the 3rd brake light is way to high - I got the matching kit but the reality of it with
37s it is just to high and makes no sense - I hacked it off and now it shines out
one of the spare tire/wheel holes.

I used their kit and cut it down so it shines out one of the holes.

Quick Reply: LoD rear bumper reviews needed