Notices
Modified JL Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

gearing

Old 09-18-2018, 12:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry gearing

I had my 2018 Jeep Wrangler re-geared for larger tires in April 2018. I just got back from a road trip and discovered my front differential puking gear oil all over the undercarriage. I seems to be coming from the breather hose which terminates high in the engine compartment. I checked the gear oil level and it does not read on the dipstick. Has anyone else had this problem. Any suggestions on a solution would be great. I have tried to get 4 wheel parts, who did the work, to get me back in the shop. They have blown me off every time I call so I am at a loss.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:40 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

What gear oil dip stick are you referring to?

The oil in the differential should be up to the bottom of the fill plug of the stock cover, with the Jeep sitting on its tires.

If the gears are overheating the oil, the installer needs to look at it immediately.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:21 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

2+2 is not adding up to 4 in the OP, and by that I mean there's no way gear oil is traveling all the way up the breather hose, making it past the check valve, and spraying all over the undercarriage. Are you saying it's leaking at the nipple for the breather hose and maybe air is blowing it to the undercarriage? Is that the only place you see it coming out? Do you have a picture? As ronjenx pointed out, there is no dipstick for gear oil. What stick are you checking?
Old 09-20-2018, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

As the others said, no dip stick for gear oil. However, if you overfill the axle with oil it WILL blow out of the breather tub. Many people make the mistake of filling the axle with gear oil to the bottom of the fill plug when using an AFTERMARKET diff cover which does NOT place the filler plug in the proper location. In the case of an aftermarket diff cover, you fill the axle with oil until it reaches the bottom of the axle tube. How you determine that is up to you. Most folks stick their finger in there or they use a white zip time bent so they can use it like a dip stick. OR, you do like me. I have ruff stuff covers and the fill plug is too high. I drilled a second hole at the correct level, threaded it, and then placed a flush plug in. When filling my diff, I remove that plug and fill until the oil begins to run out of that hole.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:08 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 201 Likes on 183 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by wideglide2k
I had my 2018 Jeep Wrangler re-geared for larger tires in April 2018. I just got back from a road trip and discovered my front differential puking gear oil all over the undercarriage. I seems to be coming from the breather hose which terminates high in the engine compartment. I checked the gear oil level and it does not read on the dipstick. Has anyone else had this problem. Any suggestions on a solution would be great. I have tried to get 4 wheel parts, who did the work, to get me back in the shop. They have blown me off every time I call so I am at a loss.
Do you have an aftermarket diff cover with a dip-stick in a vertical fill hole (ARB for example)???

If yes, it may have been over-filled which causes it to puke oil out of the vent. Where the oil level should be on the dip-stick is determined by the user/installer based on comparison with the OEM cover. A friend of mine has an ARB and marked the dip-stick with a file.

Last edited by Mr.T; 09-23-2018 at 10:20 AM.

Quick Reply: gearing