Notices
Modified JL Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JL Mods? Opinion? How can we make it better?

Old 04-24-2018, 07:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JL Mods? Opinion? How can we make it better?

What does everyone think of the new JL?

Will the diesel model be a big hit next year?

Is there anything we can design or fabricate to make them more appealing?

Lift kits and other accessories are starting to become available and we have now installed a few lifts here at our shop.
One of our employees here wheeled their built JK at Moab for Easter Jeep then hopped in a friends JL with a basic Skyjacker coil spring lift and claims " it handles so much better the arm geometry is at a better angle and has a lower center of gravity feel. Jeep made major improvements and the JL is going to be a big hit."

What do you guys think? anyone have any wheelin experience with the JL? We would love to hear your options and what we can do for the JL!
Old 04-25-2018, 07:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Strange because what I have seen the arms are at the same. Wheel base and track are a bit different and the use of aluminum may make it feel a bit more nimble. Personally I think they did a nice job of making the JL a good car and really needs little. For the price of it I would not go out and f*** it up with a bunch of mods and trail run it. I think it will be a bust as far as mods at least for 3-4 years when some numbers get on the road. I think front axles guys will do well since they came out with that dumb front one on the non rubi model to gain .5 mpg. They are still under powered for a proper modded jeep with big tires and there are rumors going around they diesel may not even make it to the street and Fiat has announced no more diesel after 2020 for the whole company which is a dumb move.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Feedback I heard was with the new tranny, it handled 40's like a champ with stock axles! Crawler Conceptz 1 shot rocker knocker in Pritchett canyons no problem. All it has was a budget boost +40's (on beadlocks of course)

I wish I could upgrade to one but I'm too vested in mine. Maybe someday!
Old 05-03-2018, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I think front axles guys will do well since they came out with that dumb front one on the non rubi model to gain .5 mpg.
Are you referring to the front axle disconnect? Because the Rubicon has that too
Old 05-03-2018, 07:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Well then, there is a reason not to buy a rubi. I thought the rubi was getting the axle from the recon models. I have not been under a JL rubi just a sport and sahara.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Well then, there is a reason not to buy a rubi. I thought the rubi was getting the axle from the recon models. I have not been under a JL rubi just a sport and sahara.
Ahh yeah unfortunately they all have it. I’m interested in the long term reliability of it. I like the idea of less things moving like the ring gear and driveshaft. Although I wish they had just done locking hubs.

I’m going to run it until something major breaks. Back in the day my buddies never had any real issues with their xj vacuum versions. So we’ll see.

Quick Reply: JL Mods? Opinion? How can we make it better?