Notices
New England If you live in the New England area (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

All Wheels in Lewiston: Too good to be true?! What's a new wheeler need to know?

Old 07-23-2010, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Wheels in Lewiston: Too good to be true?! What's a new wheeler need to know?

Thinking of heading to All Wheels in Lewiston, Maine, this weekend, about 2 hours from me. I'm a wheeling newbie here, what do I need to know? This place sounds too good to be true.

Got a mostly stock '10 Wrangler with 1-2" lift and Cepek 33's. No recovery gear other than a couple bottle jacks and a few tools. What do I need to know before I go, so I don't get myself into trouble? Will obviously take some basic safety/survival supplies, w/phone, ham radios, etc. but just looking to get my feet wet, nothing too adventurous.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Try calling Groupbuy 4x4 in Auburn, they might be able to provide some info.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best advice for a newb is don't wheel alone. Bring a buddy in case you run into problems or need a recovery. Bring a high-lift if you don't have a winch. You can get yourself off a rock if hung up and if you need to, you can use it as a winch. Make sure to bring tow straps (the kind with loops - no metal hooks!) Bring plenty of water! The JK is pretty capable and as you're testing it, you will determine the kind of mods you will need. When you get a little more serious, do a lot of research on what equipment to start with and start emptying your pockets!
Old 07-25-2010, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by renpia
do a lot of research on what equipment to start with and start emptying your pockets!
Jeez, didn't I just do that when I bought the JK???

Seriously, good advice on hi-lift, "buddy system", etc... thanks. I ended up not going this weekend as I'd have had only an hour or so to wheel. I'm going to plan a more dedicated trip there in a couple weekends, maybe will have hi-lift by then and more time (few hours) to wheel... maybe even camp overnight. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:12 PM
JK Newbie

do a search, theres been discussions of this park before. I just did a wheeling trip there 3 weeks ago and it still pretty much unimpressive.

If you're really as much of a newb as you say you are than you should prob go do some light wheeling elsewheres before you hit up the park. Standard recovery gear should be a hi-lift, hammer, ax, cellphone, shovel, and straps/chains. Bottle jack is pretty much only good for traction if you're wheeling. And never go alone.

Don't underestimate the park, small mud puddles can swallow fullsizes on 44's (i've winched them out) and there have been several rollovers just on the hills/offcamber. Go with a group or someone familiar with it, as it can pretty much destroy you quickly (and thats if you know what you're doing). Will prob be doing a trip there again in a month or so.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

MtnJeeper
When you decide on a time your on going, post up.

I have a place in Stoneham I go some weekends and Lewiston is not far away. I am a newbie and would not go alone.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bill S
MtnJeeper
When you decide on a time your on going, post up..
Will do

Quick Reply: All Wheels in Lewiston: Too good to be true?! What's a new wheeler need to know?