Notices
New England If you live in the New England area (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

MA inspection

Old 03-17-2012, 04:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexsDream77
The measurement for stock height is the highest height that the vehicle is sold as. In RI we have fought with success that the JK comes from Jeep with a "FACTORY" 3.5" lift kit. So, the lift of the tires is all that we have to worry about.

In MA you are allowed the 3.5 or 4" or whatever your calucaltion adds up to with the lift and tires combined to that number. Not 4" lift and 4" tire.
So are you saying the starting point includes the "FACTORY" 3.5 " lift because it is a factory option? I'm not trying to argue with any of this, I'm just trying to find out the correct law. The last thing I want to do is spend the money on a lift and the time and effort installing it, only to get hassled getting a valid inspection every year.

Here is the information I found. My interpretation of section 2 is the combined is the sum of the mechanical list and the tire lift. In my mind that woudl be 3.26" for the mechanical list based on the formula and 3.26" for increase tire size. Wouldn't that combined lift be 6 and half inches? Again, I'm just trying to find the correct current information before ordering my lift and tires.

540 CMR: REGISTRY OF MOTOR VEHICLES
540 CMR 6.00: ALTERATION OF MOTOR VEHICLE HEIGHT

6.05 Maximum Combined Mechanical and Tire Lift

(1) The maximum mechanical lift for four wheel drive motor vehicles shall be calculated by multiplying the wheel base times the wheel track, and dividing the product by a safety factor of 2200:

The outside diameter of the largest tire size available from the original manufacturer as standard or optional equipment for the particular motor vehicle may also be increased up to an amount equal to the maximum mechanical lift calculated.

(2) The maximum combined mechanical and tire lift shall be no greater than the sum of the maximum mechanical lift and increased tire size calculated for the particular vehicle.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

When I read the cmr I took it to mean that on a 4 door, you can lift 3 1/4" over the height of a rubicon (tallest model) and install tires that are 3 1/4" taller than the biggest stock tire ( rubicon again at 32"). Also it is not in violation until 1 inch beyond the equation amount due to manufacturers variances. So basically you can go up 4 1/4" over the rubicons height, and go up to a 36" tire. However, and this is what gets me concerned. Because in chapter 90 of mass general laws, it says 2" max. Some inspection stations and some cops (I would assume) may over the cmr and break the balls of anyone over 2". I've seen plenty of mass registered jeeps and pickup trucks clearly running lifts in the 6" range with tires way beyond the fenders and somehow they get away with it. I think it comes down to who inspects your vehicle and what cops you drive past. Luck of the draw I guess.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

I saw the 2" max lift language in the laws, too, but there was an exception for four wheel drive vehicles and it referred you to this section and this formula. It's nuts that this state has regulations that are so difficult to understand that you end up at the mercy of the luck of the draw. I'm not looking to break any laws. I just want to lift my Jeep within the rules and not have to worry about it every year I need another sticker. I wish I had a good place I could trust to get my inspection.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:46 PM
JK Super Freak

"(2) The maximum combined mechanical and tire lift shall be no greater than the sum of the maximum mechanical lift and increased tire size calculated for the particular vehicle."

Max lift with tire and suspension lift.

The factory lift kits are dealer installed. This is a grey area, but one that you can argue. It will come down to the person who is making the desicion a the state level.

We had a problem here in RI with lifting Chevy S-10's. The Chevy S-10 ZR2 is huge compared to a stock one. The lift law states highest vehicle. So, when installing a 6.5" lift on an S-10 and 33's, we were within the 4" lift law over a ZR2. An inspection station failed a friends lifted truck for this. He admitted to installing 6.5" lift. He fought it and eventually won.

I would lift the Jeep to where you are comfortable, and worry about the fight after. It just goes with the territory.

Personal experiance with my Lifted Jeep. I went with no lift and 33's to 3/4" and 33's. I went to 4" Superlift and kept the 33's. Then I bumped up to 37's. Well now... the Jeep looked big. Then came the flat flares.... wow it looks big. Now it was still less than 2 years old so it didn't need a sticker yet. THEN, I got stopped by a RI state Trooper! REASON: NO INSPECTION STICKER. Now, I infomormed the moron that the truck didn't need a sticker untill it was 2 years old or 24,00 miles. I was just over a year old. He was a dummy and gave me a tag for no inspection sticker. So... with the 5 day tag, he wrote on it that I had no sticker and WOULD NOT PASS. Lift and tires. So.. I stopped at a couple of inspection stations to get a sticker. They wouldn't touch the 5 day tag. So, I had to go to the State facility. Rut roo.... well... the guy looked at the truck. Tires were in the flares.... mostly. He comented on the lift. I said it was lifted a few inches. He looked at the tires side wall... asked how big they were, cause he doesn't know the conversion from metric to std. So, I said 35's. He put a sticker on the truck.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny, I used to have a ZR2 Blazer with a BDS 5" lift. I couldn't get that thing passed in Mass. Even on stock tires and rims. Ended up taking all the preload out of the torsion bars and throwing some weight in the back.

That instance was one of the things hindering me from doing much to my JK. Add on the years spent sweating if my old classic car and various motorcycles would pass, it's been nice flying under the radar.

Quick Reply: MA inspection