Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

3.6L Pentastar engine vehicle compatibility

Old 10-05-2017, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 3.6L Pentastar engine vehicle compatibility

OK so I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler sport unlimited. My engine ran real hot and now my block is toast. Ive looked every where for a new engine but just cant seem to find one for a reasonable price. But the Chrysler 300, Dodge challenger, Chrysler town & country and a number of other Chrysler vehicles have the same 3.6L Pentastar engine but dont have such a big price tag. Im curious if the Chrysler variant will bolt up to the jeep tranny. Ive talked to plenty of people and they say it wont but Ive looked at both the Jeep and Chrysler variant of the Pentastar engine and find almost no differences besides intakes,valve covers,timing covers,exc. but where the bellhousing bolts up there doesnt seem to be a difference in the engines. Would like a second opinion Thanks.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:13 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

What's your idea of a fair price? There's been one floating around craigslist here in Dallas for several months. I bet they have some wiggle room on price. Not sure how far you are across the boarder if that's an option at all.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pt...318568417.html

Also know someone that will be doing an LS swap soon, and might be willing to make a deal on his 3.6L.....but that timing might not line up if you need something soon.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:17 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

There was also a thread on here in the last couple weeks of someone trying to swap a 3.8L from a caravan to the jeep. Had same thoughts in that is was very similar and could make it work, but believe after getting the engine for cheap, realized it wasn't gonna bolt right up the same way. I sure don't know......BUT, I suspect you might find the same issues with 3.6L from those other vehicles when trying to get it in the jeep.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
There was also a thread on here in the last couple weeks of someone trying to swap a 3.8L from a caravan to the jeep. Had same thoughts in that is was very similar and could make it work, but believe after getting the engine for cheap, realized it wasn't gonna bolt right up the same way. I sure don't know......BUT, I suspect you might find the same issues with 3.6L from those other vehicles when trying to get it in the jeep.
Thank you for the feedback Im gonna do a little more research before making any purchases. Speaking of the 3.8L Ive had no issue in finding one of them for a good price but the 3.6L continues to elude me. The only ones I can find are in California but no contact info so not really any leads there. Im gonna go to a junkyard within the next couples of days and see if I can put my hands on one and see if there any real differences in the way they bolt up to the transmission. There is only so much one can gather from a photo I find its better for me to put my eyes on it.

Quick Reply: 3.6L Pentastar engine vehicle compatibility