JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   The New Member Registry (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/new-member-registry-21/)
-   -   Born again Jeep owner (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/new-member-registry-21/born-again-jeep-owner-349571/)

Freeloder 03-06-2019 11:26 AM

Born again Jeep owner

I say that not because of any religious association but more as a former YJ owner and now current 2012 JKUS.

Also, I used to own a 99 Range Rover Callaway edition and I was the president of El Paso desert Rovers for some time. I've wheeled for about 25 years in 3 different country's. I believe the camaraderie within the off road community is something never to be taken for granted. I believe in as slow as possible, as fast as necessary and always wheeling with a spotter. I like ARB, Synthetic winch line, snorkels and code red Mt. Dew to name a few. I'm a 9 year Air Force Vet and worked as an F-15 c/d Crew Chief. I was very active in the Land Rover online community and am familiar with online etiquette. I truly look forward to engaging with y'all and hope I can add as much to this community as I will enjoy.

Now on to my Jeep!!

Its like I said a white 2012 JK Unlimited Sahara. It has 83k miles and is in great shape except for one tiny issue. The dreaded P0306 code cylendar 6 misfire. Anyone familiar with the 2012 Pentastar V6 knows they had a little bit of an issue during manufacturing. I just bought it on the 28th of February and the CE light came on 3 days later. The dealer reset it and sent me on my way as expected. It came back on in the parking lot. The next day I arrived for an appointment with the service department and to get a clear understanding of the potential cost of the repairs. Here's where the story gets good. It was a dealer certified Jeep so it came with a 3 month bumper to bumper warranty! So far the dealer has been great! No fuss and they immediately sent it to the best jeep dealer/service department in town and gave me a Subaru outback as a loaner. I think after years of getting screwed by "As Is" cars I finally found a dealer with integrity.

Ill let y'all know how it turns out over the next couple of weeks.

Anyway, Its nice to meet everyone!

Kristopher

P.S. Photos coming soon!

jedg 03-06-2019 11:46 AM

Welcome back to the fold! Welcome to JK Forum. And, it sounds like you've dodged a bullet on the misfire issue!

Freeloder 03-07-2019 05:46 PM

Talked to the dealer today. They said it's most likely a lifter. Am I wrong or is that just a symptom of the narrow cooling passages in the '12 v6?

More from the dealer tomorrow.....

Freeloder 03-08-2019 07:04 PM

No word today. I guess having it for a week is a good thing?

Sunnysideup 03-08-2019 09:00 PM

Good news you caught it so quick.... that way you will have a couple of months to be sure the repairs were done right! Glad to have you on the forum!

Freeloder 03-12-2019 07:16 PM

Spoke with the service manager at the Jeep dealer that is fixing my '12JKUS. They were very accommodating and thorough with their explanation of the issues plaguing my new to me Jeep.

This is how it began....

My tire on the loaner Subaru they gave me sprung a leak and was bubbling when I turned it into the dealer where I purchased my Jeep, They immediately took the loaner Subaru and gave me a 2016 BMW 328I! I was ecstatic with this new ride because mostly it is an xdrive. This thing is fun and but not too much fun.

Anyway,
I went to the Jeep dealer and retrieved some important items from the Jeep. Car seat, paperwork etc. When I went back to talk with my service manager he was very nice and thorough in explaining his mechanics findings thus far. It seems to be the cam shaft and one of the lifters are not operating at all. I asked specifically if the '12 bulletin had anything to do with it and he assured me it passed all flow tests. Mine must have been one of the lucky ones that has the correct sized passages. Go figure.?

I'm optimistic that they have correctly diagnosed the problems with the Jeep but I'm a 25 year mechanic and I know the bigger issue is sometimes followed by a bit of unwanted side effects. If you only treat the symptoms you make more money as a dealer but never really fix the problem. Keep them coming back and so on.. So its with a heavy dose of realism I wont hold my breath until that check engine light stays off and the fuel economy comes back to "normal" and not 13 MPG.

Unfortunately my Jeep will sit in the lot until the approving service manager from my purchasing dealer comes back from an impromptu vacation. In interim I will enjoy my Beamer!

bbolander 03-13-2019 03:40 PM

They extended the warranty to 10 years/150,000 miles on those 2012-2013 engines for the cylinder head issue. I don't see in my letter that they say anything about not being the original owner.

Freeloder 03-14-2019 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by bbolander (Post 4338010)
They extended the warranty to 10 years/150,000 miles on those 2012-2013 engines for the cylinder head issue. I don't see in my letter that they say anything about not being the original owner.

That's what I heard but they are telling me that's not the issue. They said "its deeper than that."

Freeloder 03-19-2019 09:27 AM

The dealer has had my Jeep for 15 days now! Whats worse? They haven't even started on it yet. The service manager and my dealer both took vacation last week and I heard nothing until I threatened to go to the servicing dealer and find out what the problem was myself. After I wrote that text I received a phone call from the selling dealer's service manager. He was very apologetic and explained it was his fault and he would have my jeep started on Tuesday

Freeloder 03-19-2019 04:00 PM

Just got off the phone with my service manager....

He said they were starting the repairs and the jeep would be done by the end of the week.
Here is what they are doing ...

Replacing rockers, lifters, valves and the right side head itself. They said it passed the leak down test but the wanted to make sure they fixed the problems and not just the symptoms. Mechanics after my own heart! I'm feeling real lucky about the situation and am thankful for the attention and above and beyond service.

I will miss the BMW but im ready to start modifying my Jeep.