Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Broken Camshaft (not sensor), Cylinder 6 Misfire 2012 JKU

Old 12-18-2018, 09:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Camshaft (not sensor), Cylinder 6 Misfire 2012 JKU

Hi all,

I just purchased a 2012 JKU with 50k from a large Jeep dealership in Colorado. I’ve had the car 2 months, and 5k miles of most highway driving. On Sunday, I started to hear a ticking/clicking from the left cylinder head, went into limp mode and check engine came on. Codes were Cylinder 6 Misfire and Cam positioning sensor. Towed to dealer.

Dealership called next day, they said it’s not the 2012 Left Cylinder head issue, it’s a broken camshaft on the left Cylinder. When I say broken, it’s broken in half.

I’ve been around cars my whole life, and never heard or seen a broken/split camshaft other than in a highly modified race car/engine. Seems suspicious to me. The force that it would take to break it would be...

My questions:

Has anyone else had this happen to their JK?
Has anyone heard of a camshaft breaking on a 3.6 pen star with 50k?
What might have caused this? Don’t want to go Replacing the camshaft and it happen months down the road.
Could this be related to the TBS bulletin issued by Jeep on the cyclinder heads?
Dealership cant tell me why or how it happened, they’ve never seen it before, any questions I should ask?

New member, new to forums, but have driven nothing but Jeeps my whole life. You name it, I’ve owned it, and probably several models of it if it’s a Jeep. Not a mechanic but know my basics.

Quick Reply: Broken Camshaft (not sensor), Cylinder 6 Misfire 2012 JKU