Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Contemplating a JKU

Old 08-26-2015, 12:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contemplating a JKU

Hello everyone,
Please allow me to introduce myself...
My name is Tim, I am from Northern NJ, but recently moved to Central NJ within the last year for work. I currently drive a heavily modded 2011 Audi A4, and started to realize; 1, I reached the point of apex with my build, and 2, I desperately need to get a truck.

The Audi has been a total ball working on. I did anything from a full interior swap, down to a engine build. In all, about 15K was put into the cars build. And sadly, I'm over it.

To explain my madness in that statement, let me tell you the story of how I got the car originally...

When I started to look for my "first new car," I actually was looking for a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. When I first got my license, I shared a 94 GC with my parents that I absolutely loved everything about. The trucks odometer stopped working at 199,998k and still went at least another 50k until the downpipe rusted itself onto the ground, and even then, my cousin took the car as a backyard stump hauler, and is still in use today.

So as I searched for the new GC, I found one with low miles at a nearby Audi dealer. Once I got there, I literally watched the couple that just purchased the truck drive away. I spent over an hour getting to that dealership, and figured I might as well just look around. Well to make a longer story shorter, I drove home the next morning with a CPO Audi A4.

Quickly, I learned that there was so much more potential to these cars, and if I had done my research, I would have ordered one or searched for one with a lot of different things. For instance, Audi's "S line" is a package offered that gives it a much sportier look and a few other options, instead, I wasted money on buying those bits to transform the look of the car.

In my build with the A4, I met some great people. Some who had a passion for Audis, and others who had a passion for autos in general. One gentleman in particular had an amazing JKU that I absolutely fell in love with, and knew that when time came, I had to get one. Well, after months of looking at pictures, and seeing more and more jeeps, and friends getting into JKs, I came to where I am right now, writing you guys about what I want to do.

SO FINALLY...

I am giving myself until the end of September to sell as much aftermarket parts from my Audi, and with whats left, trade that in for a new or pre owner JKU.
I figured this timeline would be best as October is when I get my bonus from work too.

So here are my questions to you, and perhaps you can steer me into the right direction..

My list of must haves:
JKU - need a 4dr. With a dog, and eventually kids, a 4dr is more practical, plus, I like the look more of the 4drs.
Nav - This is thanks to the Audi... The audi was my first car with navigation, and I got spoiled with it. It saved on data with phones, and I also like the addition look factor it gives.

My list of future plans:
No to small lift... you tell me... I want to run "37s" or at least something that you may think is practical to be daily driven, and still have a killer look.
Wheels - you tell me whats popular and where to look. My audi has HRE wheels which are stupid expensive (about 2k per wheel) I like good brand wheels, but this time around, I want this to be my adventure car. Be able to go to the woods, go on the beach etc.. Total opposite from my queen of a car now.
Bumpers - This is a big deciding factor for me on what trim line to get. I like the Rubicon and its hood, but I know I want to get poison spider front and rear bumpers
Fenders - Again, what trim would be best for this

Overall, what should I look for? Whats practical when it comes down to wanting to build it up? Also, manual or auto? The people I know that have one choose the auto, and only 1 said he didnt get the manual because he didnt like the way it felt, the others never drove manual.
In advance, thanks!
Old 08-26-2015, 12:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My recommendation:
2012+ JKU Sport (Rubicon if you feel you may need lockers right away)
2 1/2" Coil lift
35x12.5 R17 tires or maybe 285 75 R17s. Wheels with at most 4 1/2" Backspace. I personally wouldnt do 37's for a daily driver.
I would relocate the steering stabilizer and reinforce the C's ASAP. Also I would get skids for the lower control arm brackets.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be honest and decide: is this going to be a street build or a trail rig? Then read stickies on lifts, tire size vs power loss. Realize no matter what you do, you'll never get road performance of a sports car. Your center of gravity is high, roll center is high, solid axels are terrible in compound turns at speed with road imperfections and your pushing 2 tons of metal.

Last edited by BlackRockBurner; 08-26-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's so much aftermarket stuff when it comes to Jeeps. My suggestion is to just keep reading forums. Look at pictures. Figure out what things you like. No one can really tell you what would be best for you because the choices are endless with JKU's. They're sooooo much fun though. It's a whole different ball game than the sports car scene. This is coming from a guy that used to drive modded Porsches. Jeeps are way more fun.

Welcome to JKF!

Quick Reply: Contemplating a JKU