Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

From fast cars to a jeep

Old 04-27-2013, 12:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1995nscajeep
Since your not going to be wheeling much"yet" lol.. You should consider a 2.5 on 35s it eliminates or reduces issues on the drive train and the need for adj control arms and the 35s are good on the 35 even while wheeling and it still has a agressive look. Sorry for the people giving u grief... But give it a year or so and the offroading bug will hit you and you ll then start planning trips to places with out roads and Moab .. Fair warning
Yep I agree with this . Also be ready to buy new driveshafts
Old 04-27-2013, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark73

Yep I agree with this . Also be ready to buy new driveshafts
Also is it a auto ? Turner will be in order also to fix shift points .speedo ect
Old 04-27-2013, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

I like how everbody says since you dont wheel it "yet" lol I feel ya on that. I ride gncc trails on my dirtbike and dont want to tear up my ride home. Haha and yea I love the jeeps now. Its very addicting and very expensive. Lol my jeep is an auto. 6 speed I believe with 3.73 gears. I have 31s on it now but just want to make it look big and mean lol
Old 04-27-2013, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dahreno
I say , go back to hot rods . sounds like your only concern is how it looks .I don't know why you own a Jeep if you never go wheeling . You need to show that kid what the great outdoors is like , not how to stick out in a crowd with big tires . Another poser .
This guy is the tip of a member. I got a 2013 lifted and all. I come from rock crawling and guess what. This one is not been off road. I'm no poser.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:07 PM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I say , go back to hot rods . sounds like your only concern is how it looks .I don't know why you own a Jeep if you never go wheeling . You need to show that kid what the great outdoors is like , not how to stick out in a crowd with big tires . Another poser .
Not necessarily... I bet most JK owners here don't wheel their rigs. Wranglers are awesome vehicles for all seasons no matter where you live! They're all around fun no matter who your are; and the fact that there are so many ways to make them original to YOU! I do wheel my rig, but also blow off steam with ATV's because its a fraction of the cost of breaking something on my daily driver, and I can still get to work the next morning!

To fasteddie: Build your Jeep to make it original, make it yours! Use the search funcion here and most of all have fun!
Old 04-28-2013, 04:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jk kris

This guy is the tip of a member. I got a 2013 lifted and all. I come from rock crawling and guess what. This one is not been off road. I'm no poser.
Same here. I'm not buying and modding an expensive Jeep just to beat the hell out of it. I'd rather have a sweet Jeep to ride around town in and an old beat up YJ or the like to abuse on the trails and not care.
Some of the knuckleheads who preach you Shouldn't buy a Jeep unless you flog it are obviously trying to make themselves feel better about being morons.
I'm all for people using their stuff how they want wether it be for fun, looks or whatever
Old 04-28-2013, 07:12 AM
JK Freak

Click image for larger version

Name:	douchebag-alert.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	451931

I've seen quite a few people on here that run 37's with a 2.5'' Budget Boost, shaved pinch seams, flat fenders (or stock fenders cut to flats - see writeup) and stubby front bumper (or stock cut to a stubby for free) with the stock d30 and gearing. It can be done from what I've read from many. I'd probably gusset the 30 just to add a little more strength to it if you go 37's or bigger. Some still wheel it and do fine as they don't bash it off rocks and put it under a ton of stress. It isn't ideal to do, but it can be done until you can keep upgrading things on it slowly but surely.

Also from what I've read, If you start nearing the 4'' of lift (on an unlimited - thought you said you had one, could be wrong on that and just imagining it ), you'll need to get aftermarket driveshafts as stock will start to wear out cause of the angles.

So for nice looks, and still capable to off road lightly, and minimal cost for now you can do the above and get away with it.

2.5'' Teraflex Budget Boost ~ $250.
Pinch seams - Free
Cut front bumper to stubby - Free (Unless you purchase end caps ~ $60 - $100)
Stock Flat fenders - Free
Stock Driveshafts will still work - Free
Rims - Stockers will still work - Free
37'' tires - Depends on preference of tire. Varies widely.
C gussets - Hardly anything.

Total cost - Dependent on tires but hardly much at all to get you by for awhile or even work permanently depending on your wheeling wants/desires.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by D3ADLY
Attachment 451931

I've seen quite a few people on here that run 37's with a 2.5'' Budget Boost, shaved pinch seams, flat fenders (or stock fenders cut to flats - see writeup) and stubby front bumper (or stock cut to a stubby for free) with the stock d30 and gearing. It can be done from what I've read from many. I'd probably gusset the 30 just to add a little more strength to it if you go 37's or bigger. Some still wheel it and do fine as they don't bash it off rocks and put it under a ton of stress. It isn't ideal to do, but it can be done until you can keep upgrading things on it slowly but surely.

Also from what I've read, If you start nearing the 4'' of lift (on an unlimited - thought you said you had one, could be wrong on that and just imagining it ), you'll need to get aftermarket driveshafts as stock will start to wear out cause of the angles.

So for nice looks, and still capable to off road lightly, and minimal cost for now you can do the above and get away with it.

Pinch seams - Free

Total cost - Dependent on tires but hardly much at all to get you by for awhile or even work permanently depending on your wheeling wants/desires.

Thanks everybody. I really am thankful for all the tips. Has anybody heard of ZONE lift kits? My buddy sales them and said he could do the 4inch kit for like 550. He said they install them all the time at their shop. Come with shocks too. Let me know. thanks
Old 04-29-2013, 05:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by D3ADLY
Attachment 451931
Pinch seams - Free
Add wheel spacers for the 37s to work

I thought I read you have an 07 unlimited and then somewhere else I think I saw you said you have a 6 sp auto. The 07-11 jeep auto are 4 speeds. The reason I point this out is because for 37" tires and a 4 speed auto you'll probably want to re gear to make it drive decent on the road or offroad if you prefer. Also a tuner to correct speedo and shift points would be good

I think most places a regear is around $1200
The programmer/tuner is about $150

Quick Reply: From fast cars to a jeep