Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Hello from Afghanistan

Old 10-06-2008, 08:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Hello from Afghanistan

Hello everyone my name is Roger and I just signed up to the site. I recently purchased a 08 Black Jeep Wrangler JK 2DR 4WD for my return to Okinawa Japan in a few weeks. This is my first 4WD vehicle and I am very excited about it. I am going to do a mild lift to hit some of the trails on the beautiful island of Okinawa. I have been in Afghanistan for about 8 months now and am tired of driving the HMMWV with all my gear on and cannot wait to get back to a Jeep with no doors on it driving down the Highway. I am still waiting on a picture of it from the AAFES new car sales people but its nothing more than your basic Auto, wrangler X. Thanks guys and I will make sure I use the search button before starting a new thread and asking the same ol' questions.

Semper Fi

During our training we took the HMMWV through some rough terrain (rough to us cause we all drive cars) The Marine Corps hired a company called Backwood Driving school to come out and teach us how to drive in the terrain we would be in in Afghanistan. That was the best part of the training cause most of us had never gone off road and now we were driving through some really rough terrain in an up armored HMMWV.

Thats me on the right and thats us going through the mountains of Hawthorne Nevada

Here is an accident the Afghans had with their vehicle

Here are a few pics the dealer sent me of the jeep I will be picking up

Last edited by usmc_reyes2007; 10-10-2008 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Welcome aboard!

Thank you for serving, and stay safe out there!
Old 10-06-2008, 10:25 PM
JK Newbie

No need to thank me I signed up for this I love what I do and the places I travel. I am real excited though about getting back to my wife and kids and my new jeep that will be awaiting me. Hopefully the wheels and tires I am going to order will be there by then.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:14 AM
JK Junkie

Congrats on your new JK and welcome to the forum!! Thank you for serving, stay safe!!
Old 10-07-2008, 07:30 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys for he warm welcomes but no need to thank me for my services. If anything I thank you guys for being great and not a jerk telling me a murderer and such. This is not a popular war that we are in but duty calls and I chose to be a part of it. Deployments bring out a real brotherhood in Marines and I have never in my life been so proud to serve with a group of great individuals that are the caliber of men I have served with here and in Iraq. It puts a smile on our faces to know we have people that backs us through everything. As for the Jeep its my present to myself for a job well done lol. I want to do the basic small budget lifts and will be hitting the classifieds soon to start searching for my lift.

Thanks guys and Semper Fi
Old 10-07-2008, 07:40 AM
JK Freak

I'd be over there with ya if I could, because I love it too! But my unit doesn't deploy enough. They should send the crybabies to my unit and attach me to yours
Old 10-07-2008, 07:54 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah I have been pretty lucky when it came to deployments. when I felt it was time to go to Iraq a few months later I found my on a bird headed to Iraq and when I felt it was time to go to Afghanistan a few months later I found myself on my way here. Some guys though go on back to back to back deployments and never really get time for a break. I at least had a 2.5 yr break between deployments. Don't worry about deploying though cause this war does not have an easy ending so you will get your turn.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:50 AM
JK Jedi Master

thanks for your service anyhow, that looks like some fun wheeling..

welcome to te JK forum.. check out the armed services forum on here when you get a chance/
Old 10-07-2008, 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Welcome aboard,

Cheers

JKDad
Old 10-07-2008, 09:05 AM
JK Jedi Master

Great pics. Welcome to JK-Forum.

Quick Reply: Hello from Afghanistan