Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Hey Guys!

Old 09-27-2017, 05:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Guys!

Hey guys,

I am new to the forum and to the world of jeep, and would like to get some opinions and some help from you guys.
I am moving to Sicily in about 8 months, and once I get there I want to buy a JKU. Reason I am not on the Italy JK forum is because they pretty much told me that I wasn't welcome. ( whatever that meant).

So once I get my JKU, I wanted to add a 3" lift kit with 35" tires. Can you guys recommend different lift kits and tires. I was looking at the TeraFlex 3" elite lcg long flexarm lift kit with shocks or at the Metacloak game-changer suspension, 2.5"/3.5", 6pak edition. If there are different kinds or better ones, I am all ears.
I will be installing everything myself so I was also wondering once completed with installation, what is there to be done? I've heard that regearing, realignment and recalibration is required. Others have told me that regearing is not required. Just the other two.

Thank you guys in advance and hope to be welcomed here.

Carlo
Old 09-27-2017, 05:47 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Lots of reading to brush up on before you go. You have plenty of time to really lay out a game plan and think things through thoroughly. I'd imagine that building something overseas is a touch more difficult than here in the states, but might be wrong. There's so much more to add, but I'll start with a couple comments -

1) Take a look at Synergy as well. The DDM bushings they use in their components is very similar to Metalcloak's. They also have a nice double-sleeve method of adjusting things while installed on the vehicle.

2) if you're buying a RHD jeep overseas, bear in mind that not all manufactures make RHD components. User Spud Racer down in Papua New Guinea is planning a build and decided to go with Metalcloak, but realized MC doesn't have trackbars for RHD, so having to piece in a couple different components. On that same note, Synergy does have RHD parts as well.

3) Things to consider that won't be part of the lift and may need to be addressed at some point - upgraded drag link and/or flip, upgraded tie rod, upgraded ball joints, front drive shaft

4) Regearing might depend on what you buy up front. If you end up with 4.10s with the 3.6L, you MIGHT be ok with 35s for a while. It's not completely unbearable. That said if you have 3.21 or 3.73, you'd more likely WANT to regear. A lot of it depends on the terrain and what you can put up with as far as being sluggish.

I'd start by reading the stickies at the top of the various forum boards. Start with Dirtman's sticky on lifts located in the "modified" section.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:11 AM
JK Newbie

I would definitely go with the metal cloak 2.5" if you are running 35's and have 3.73 gears its sluggish, but manageable 4.10's are better 4.56 gears are preferred. my 2cents
Old 09-27-2017, 06:51 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When installing larger tires and corresponding wheels with a lift, the larger tires do put more strain on the ball joints, along with the wheels typically having less backspacing that further increases the stress on the ball joints. Upgrading to our Heavy Duty Ball Joints (https://www.dynatrac.com/rebuildable-ball-joints.html) would be a good, preventative move that will strengthen things and make for one less possible failure spot later on.

In addition, those larger tires are going to put more stress on your brakes by making them work harder to stop your Jeep, even if you're just driving in normal traffic on paved roads. Upgrading your brakes with something like our ProGrip system will let you enjoy the improvements you're making more, because being able to stop your Jeep with no issues means you can focus more on just enjoy the drive, on or off road. You can see the difference it makes here https://www.dynatrac.com/brake-syste...e-jeep-jk.html
Old 09-27-2017, 10:05 AM
JK Newbie

Hey thanks guys for your responses.

resharp001, the JKU will not be a RHD, so I wont have to worry about that.
Now when we say regearing, does that mean doing something to the gearing thats already there or replacing it with a new one. Im sorry, im still learning all these new terms. Also the heavy duty ball joints, and brakes, is that something I would want to replace right away or is that something I can do later on?
I spoke to someone from rough country and they told me, all I needed was the lift kit and tires (3" with 35") and I didn't need anything else. No regearing. Just realignment and recalibration which I can do the recalibration myself.
Thanks again guys

Carlo
Old 09-27-2017, 10:16 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by Carloluigidiliberti
Hey thanks guys for your responses.

resharp001, the JKU will not be a RHD, so I wont have to worry about that.
Now when we say regearing, does that mean doing something to the gearing thats already there or replacing it with a new one. Im sorry, im still learning all these new terms. Also the heavy duty ball joints, and brakes, is that something I would want to replace right away or is that something I can do later on?
I spoke to someone from rough country and they told me, all I needed was the lift kit and tires (3" with 35") and I didn't need anything else. No regearing. Just realignment and recalibration which I can do the recalibration myself.
Thanks again guys

Carlo
What size wheels will you be running with your 35s?

Replacing them now or later depends on how you drive your Jeep and what you'll be doing with it. If you're wheeling it then the need to replace the ball joints will come about soon when your factory ones wear out, but hopefully without seeing a ball joint failure that can lead to bad things.

On the brakes, you can do those later on, but after driving your Jeep with big tires and the stock brakes and feeling the reduction in braking performance with the stock setup, you might find yourself wanting to go ahead and upgrade the brakes, especially if you're wheeling this one off-road.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
What size wheels will you be running with your 35s?

Replacing them now or later depends on how you drive your Jeep and what you'll be doing with it. If you're wheeling it then the need to replace the ball joints will come about soon when your factory ones wear out, but hopefully without seeing a ball joint failure that can lead to bad things.

On the brakes, you can do those later on, but after driving your Jeep with big tires and the stock brakes and feeling the reduction in braking performance with the stock setup, you might find yourself wanting to go ahead and upgrade the brakes, especially if you're wheeling this one off-road.
I was thinking 17". Could I go up to 20"?
Old 09-27-2017, 10:45 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I. Can't. Even. Do yourself a favor and stop talking to those guys. If you start out talking Metalcloak game changer lift and then start talking to the Rough Country guys.....that's like visiting the Porsche dealership, and then going to buy a Kia....not that there's anything wrong with a Kia. More than ever, I'd think that building/living overseas, you'll want to do it right with quality parts the first time, and be done. Just my opinion. And....don't get disillusioned, you can't lift a jeep 3" or more for cheap and be happy. Just can't do it PROPERLY on the cheap. You CAN do it cheap....and you'll end up with a cheap crappy driving jeep.

In regards to re-gears, that job would entail replacing the ring and pinion gears in both the front and rear diffs. It's not a small job, and it's not something you're likely to do by yourself. You CAN do it by yourself, but based on this thread so far......this is not a job you will be doing yourself. It costs generally $1500 +/- (parts & labor) for that type of job. 4.10s, you can survive on 35's. 3.73....you can probably get by for a while. 3.21's.....jeep gonna be quite a dog. As previously stated by someone else, 35's with the 3.6L, 4.56 gearing is most likely your sweat spot.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:13 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

I was thinking 17". Could I go up to 20"?
Reason we asked, the ProGrip Brake System fits JKs with at least 17-inch wheels (wheel spacers are required with 17-inch factory wheels), and the system will fit in nearly all aftermarket wheels without spacers.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:13 AM
JK Newbie

Oh I agree with you 10000%. I want to do it the right way. That’s why I’m doing my research now before I get there, so I know what I need. Now I know I’ve been talking about 35” tires, but what if I went with a 3” lift but with 33”s. Will I still be looking at regearing or is having 33”s a different pall park?

Quick Reply: Hey Guys!