JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   The New Member Registry (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/new-member-registry-21/)
-   -   From Hot Rods to Euro hatches to now Jeeps. (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/new-member-registry-21/hot-rods-euro-hatches-now-jeeps-325504/)

Rick Grimes 08-24-2015 02:59 PM

From Hot Rods to Euro hatches to now Jeeps.

Hello everyone! I am mid forties and started as a very young kid working on classic cars with my dad and went through my teens to late twenties building Street Rods ( in my early 20's I did have a '87 Jeep Comanche to fetch parts).... Through my thirties and early forties it was Euro Hatches classic and new and souping them up. Now I am changing again. With the a high stress job, needing to wear two cell phones plus a radio, working up to 184 hours a pay period with averaging 100- 146 hour per pay period I need to go unplug and get away from it all for a few days that I can. I have been doing some research and I have narrowed it down to a used 2012- 2014 JKU. I am not looking to go rock climbing/ crawling with it or nothing extreme but I do want to do overland type of stuff. I kind of want to make it a bug out vehicle too. So far for stability and driving I have found the I shouldn't go beyond a 2.5" lift, but that also requires exhaust spaces right? Some say it would be best to go with a Sport or Sahara and that a Rubicon is a little much for what I want while others say the opposite. I live in the desert so I am looking at terrain that is hard pack, sand, hills, ruts, river bed with some stones in them. Just some Questions;

1. What do you recommend for lifts, how high and what brand?
2. What model do you recommend?
3. Who has the best and most parts and who has the best prices?
4. What would you NOT do if you had to do it again and what would you DO if you did?
5. Anything else you can help with or contribute that I have not thought of please share. Thanks in Advance.

Ryan0260 08-24-2015 07:02 PM

Welcome to JK Forum Rick! I would just take some time and browse the forum and you will find the answers to many of your questions.

Blizz 08-25-2015 08:28 AM

I'll answer your questions below, but I just wanted to say welcome to the forum and if you can afford a Rubicon, get a Rubicon. It makes life easier when you have 'premium' factory parts. This way you have less things that 'need' to be replaced. You are mainly interested in overlanding so my responses will be my opinions based on that.

2.5 inches, 35 inch tires, all terrains unless you really want mud terrains. AEV makes a hell of a lift kit if you can afford it.

As mentioned above, Rubicon w/ a 6speed and a hartop. I prefer the 4 doors, but if its going to be just you escaping then get a 2 door.

ExtremeTerrain, Quadratech, Morris4x4, MetalCloak, AEV, Rock Krawler, Off Road Evolution, Poison Spyder, I could name brands all day. You'll figure this out once you start researching.

4. What would you NOT do if you had to do it again and what would you DO if you did?

I would NOT get manual doors and windows. I would NOT get a softop (if I had a place to store a hardtop). I would NOT get a lift kit with a drop pitman arm. I would get 35 inch mud terrains again. I would regear to 4.88 w/ limited slip. I would get a manual tranny. I would upgrade my steering/suspension components BEFORE a lift was installed. Adjustable components, stronger material, and most importantly better end joints are what I would focus on.

5. Anything else you can help with or contribute that I have not thought of please share. Thanks in Advance.

Relocate your evap canister and axle breather tubes, look into armor - axle armor, skid plates, corner armor, rock sliders, steel bumpers, find better storage methods (MOLLE packs, shelves, overhead storage).

These are my opinions and you should take at face value. Everyone builds their jeeps differently for different purposes. Wheel it stock for awhile. Wheel with fellow jeepers of varying skill and build levels. Find the parts you like, what you want to replace, and go from there. Invest with your brain before you invest with your wallet. Buy nice, not twice. Happy jeeping!

TASCAPARTS 08-25-2015 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Rick Grimes (Post 4136417)
Hello everyone! I am mid forties and started as a very young kid working on classic cars with my dad and went through my teens to late twenties building Street Rods ( in my early 20's I did have a '87 Jeep Comanche to fetch parts).... Through my thirties and early forties it was Euro Hatches classic and new and souping them up. Now I am changing again. With the a high stress job, needing to wear two cell phones plus a radio, working up to 184 hours a pay period with averaging 100- 146 hour per pay period I need to go unplug and get away from it all for a few days that I can. I have been doing some research and I have narrowed it down to a used 2012- 2014 JKU. I am not looking to go rock climbing/ crawling with it or nothing extreme but I do want to do overland type of stuff. I kind of want to make it a bug out vehicle too. So far for stability and driving I have found the I shouldn't go beyond a 2.5" lift, but that also requires exhaust spaces right? Some say it would be best to go with a Sport or Sahara and that a Rubicon is a little much for what I want while others say the opposite. I live in the desert so I am looking at terrain that is hard pack, sand, hills, ruts, river bed with some stones in them. Just some Questions;

Welcome to the site.