Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Intro from Santa Barbara, CA

Old 05-29-2019, 09:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intro from Santa Barbara, CA

Just joined the forum today. Its been a couple of weeks since I acquired my '17 JKUR and I have to say that it's a lot of fun to return to the Jeep community. (I have owned CJ5s, CJ7s, and XJs in the past, along with an FJ40 and a '64 Scout). I'm old school and its amazing how much has evolved since I cut my teeth on locking hubs and Jeeps without sway bars, when running 32" tires was considered "extreme". lol

I promised my wife that I'm not going to dump money into this thing (I have a tendency to become obsessive), so I bought a Jeep that was already modded by the PO with mostly good quality stuff and makes a good base for further refinement. Bought it with 16,000 miles on the clock and at this point the only thing I've done is add a backup camera and a set of '19 JLUR take-off wheels and tires.

Click image for larger version

Name:	es9GGRFm.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	678015

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your POV) the PO re-geared it for 37's (4.88 gears) which I did not learn until after I'd purchased it (I tracked him down via Facebook) so now I'm looking to step up to 35's on a set of AEV Borah beadlocks (run in "regular" mode).

Oh, almost forgot, previous 4x4's also included a 4wd Volkswagen camper van called a "syncro" (thus the handle). So I'm used to long wheelbase off-roading!

Click image for larger version

Name:	BSCeZFLm.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	678016
The following users liked this post:
speedlimit (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 04:48 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Welcome to your new community! Great intro and thank you for photos!

Bob
sbsyncro (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 06:27 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

Wow... was that pic of the VW's last trip... LOL! Welcome, and be careful Jeeps have more options than anything for spending lots of money. (Just Empty Every Pocket)
Old 05-29-2019, 06:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sunnysideup
Wow... was that pic of the VW's last trip... LOL! Welcome, and be careful Jeeps have more options than anything for spending lots of money. (Just Empty Every Pocket)
Haha! No I ended up selling it after 260,000 miles for more than I paid for it from the dealer, and that was too cheap by about $20,000. It was always fun to be perched at the top of a tough Jeep trail in that thing with the top popped and the side door open while making coffee and have people in Jeeps look at me like "What the... how did he get here!" I used to know pretty much everyone in the country that had one of those - super rare.

No kidding about the emptying pockets thing. I'm actually on about my 40th hour straight looking at wheels and tires. 35's going on soon. Trying to decide between AEV Borah or Q-Tec Hard Rock wheels. I doubt I'll ever use bead locks so I'm leaning toward the Hard Rocks....
Old 05-30-2019, 08:29 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

Decisions decisions ! LOL at least we have choices!
The following users liked this post:
sbsyncro (05-30-2019)

Quick Reply: Intro from Santa Barbara, CA