Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Looking for advice on beefing up my two door

Old 06-13-2017, 10:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice on beefing up my two door

I am trying to figure out the best direction to go for lift and tire size. I was wondering if I could have some advice on sizing. Here is kinda an idea of what I was thinking, I was thinking maybe a 3'' lift with 35s. I begin to wonder though are there better options? Also keeping in mind I do a lot of daily driving so mileage is a key factor. I love the look of beefy jeeps. My jeeps a two door sahara with xrc armor fenders so no worry for clearance.

I would love to see pictures as well
Old 06-13-2017, 12:19 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

what is your intended usage? pretty hard to beat aev 2.5" for a daily driver that is not going to be racing KOH or the like. If medium offroading ie things like the rubicon trail the aev will keep you happy day to day.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:43 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,586 Posts

You don't need 3" of lift to fit a 35 under there. It mainly sounds like you're going for looks. Keep in mind the higher you go, the more components you typically have to address. Without throwing out specific brands, I'd stick with a 2-2.5" as jadmt already suggest. Keep budget in mind as there will likely be things you need or want to address that aren't going to be included in the lift. Upgrade steering components possibly, depending on your current gearing....a possible regear. There's typically something you fail to budget for. Dirtman's write up on lifts is a great place to start. it's a sticky at the top of the modified section.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:49 AM
JK Newbie

If i did a 2.5 and still wanted that bigger look should I do 35s? Or what size tire wouldnt look too small and dumb under there?
Old 06-14-2017, 09:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by LJwrangler
If i did a 2.5 and still wanted that bigger look should I do 35s? Or what size tire wouldnt look too small and dumb under there?
35's look nice with a 2.5" lift. You might be able to get away with 33's if you don't want to go bigger. The bigger the tire the more you're going to question gearing. One thing always leads to another. Bigger doesn't always mean better......but it usually means more expensive for everything in the build.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
35's look nice with a 2.5" lift. You might be able to get away with 33's if you don't want to go bigger. The bigger the tire the more you're going to question gearing. One thing always leads to another. Bigger doesn't always mean better......but it usually means more expensive for everything in the build.
So if I was to do a 2.5 what lift type would you recommend.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:47 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by LJwrangler
So if I was to do a 2.5 what lift type would you recommend.
what is your intended usage? hardcore rock krawler, medium off-road, light off-road no off-road just the mall or back roads cruiser?

like I said for a DD that sees medium type stuff the AEV lift really rides and handles well. I have had TeraFlex, Rock Krawler and now AEV and my good buddy has a metal cloak which is also nice but not as nice on the road as my aev. He had to bring my jeep to me 200 miles away and he said that he was surprised my jeep rode nicer than his and mine is a 2 door and his a 4 door both 2016 rubicons.
with 2.5"

with 3.5
Old 07-13-2017, 05:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I’m not one to suggest specific lifts cuz it’s a zero sum game. A lot of people like the AEV lifts that Jadmt is suggesting. They run a little higher in price, but are typically a bit more thorough of a kit at least. Two things I don’t like about their 2.5” kit specifically. First, it doesn’t address caster correction, so add $105 to the sticker price for some geo brackets. Second, for the price of the kit, they should give you some new sway bar links rather than addressing that with a raised bracket in the front. That part is just dumb. If you think you ever do any off roading, you may as well just scrap that and buy some quick disconnects. That takes the price of the kit from $1000 to ~$1250. Their 3.5" kit is a bit more thorough with a cost of ~1800. If you are going with bigger tires, don’t forget to factor in the cost of a programmer to calibrate your speedometer.

That doesn’t even scratch other components like drag link, tie rod, ball joints that will fail. If you go to 3”+, now you’re bringing driveshafts in to the picture. Get too big on the tires and you’re bringing gears in to the picture. See how this stuff starts adding up. Ugh. I could talk myself in circles all day long on lifts…..which is why I try not to travel down this road. LOL. I’ll just say this…..if you try to do it on the cheap, you will most likely not be happy with the drivability. In the long run, it’s cheaper to do it right and do it once.

If you can tell us what your budget is, people will give you a realistic idea of if you can accomplish your goal or not, or what you'll end up with at least.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on beefing up my two door