Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

New From Florida

Old 04-08-2019, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New From Florida

Hello I just purchased a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara for my son's 16th birthday. This is the 3rd jeep that I' have owned (1986 CJ7 sold in 1990 & 1993 Wrangler sold in 1996) & I'm excited to own another Jeep. This will be a great opportunity to teach my son the mechanics of vehicle ownership. This unlimited is about to get a make over. He gets it on Saturday and then the fun will begin. I've ordered brakes and rotors, light bar and replacement led head and tail lights, 3.5" R/C lift and a set of 2018 Rubicon pull off wheels & Tires. The 3.8 has a couple oil leaks, valve cover and I think the oil pan which I plan to fix in that order. It needs a oil change so I'm taking to the dealer to get it done. I figure pay the idiot tax on the oil change to get any recalls or service bulletins addressed. I also figure they will give me a laundry list service ideas. The cruise control and horn don't work so I hope they will fix it under the recall that I've read about.

I'll update as we upgrade and improve. This jeep has 190,000 miles on it. I'm curious, is that close to the life expectancy or can it go for another 25,000?

Thanks in advance for your help, I know I will need it.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:19 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

I know some of the 3.8's have made it up into the mid 200,000 mile range.... but I have not heard of it being common that they do. The 3.8 doesn't like getting real hot... so keep good oil in it, be sure it's full of oil... many 3.8's burn a little oil in their normal operation. Mine is about 1/2 quart low at each oil change.... but some go through a quart every thousand. Take care of it and it should give you many more miles!

Quick Reply: New From Florida