Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

New jeep owner

Old 08-21-2015, 05:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New jeep owner

My son just got a jeep and we are now fixing it up. It is a 2008 two door wrangler x. I have a few questions for board. What is the difference between a jk and jku? Where can I get quality accessories at a reasonable price. And lastly he wants a hardtop. I looked at buying used, but when you consider shipping it's not worth it. I am also looking at a smithy built two piece. But not sure about its quality verses a used OEM. new OEM is crazy expensive. Any input is appreciated.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off....welcome to the dark side! Jeeps are very addicting.

JK = 2 DR
JKU = Unlimited (4dr)

As far as a hard top, just look in the for sale section on several JK forums. Always find people selling hard tops. Can usually pick one up for a 4dr for about $1500 used, so I'd expect a bit less for a 2dr. Bought my Jeep new with a hard top and then a few months later got a Bestop TrekTop NX. Installed it and after my hard top sat in the garage for over a year, I sold it off because it was just taking up space. Bad thing about a hard top is when you decide you want to take it off, you have to be able to store it. And you can't just take it off at the mall, etc. Soft top you can fold back, etc. on the fly. SO somethign to think about.

As far as accessories.....just check with some of the vendors on different forums. Obviously you can get stuff at 4 Wheel Parts, QuadraTech, etc., but you can usually find better pricing & service at smaller places. Not to say I haven't spent tons of money at 4WP, but my lift and armor came from a smaller company out of Austin. Unbeatable service, too. So just find the stuff you want and then do a web search to find the best pricing. Also, again, check the for sale sections on forums, too. Quite often you can find nearly new parts or stuff that people decide just isn't going to work for their build.

Good luck and welcome!

Quick Reply: New jeep owner