Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

New Jk owner

Old 02-17-2019, 07:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Jk owner

My 2017 JK
My name is Jerry and I live in Northwest Mo. Im a new owner of a 2017 JK. It has a 4” lift with 35” tires. It’s spinning grease where the drive shaft goes into the transfer case. Does it need a different drive shaft or an angle kit of some sorts? Thanks for any help

Last edited by Jerry P.; 02-17-2019 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Added a photo
Old 02-18-2019, 07:38 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

There is a seal... similar to pinion seal on the transfer case side... I am replacing mine next week.
If it is thicker grease- your boot on the cv portion of your driveshaft could have failed. They make replacement kits for those... Tera Flex even has one that has more room to flex. They are called "repezza joints" if you look them up. Amazon- e-bay, dealers... lots of places sell them.

You might be better off going to a 1310 style driveshaft and u-joints...
Old 02-20-2019, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

yep, what Sunnysideup said... given you are a 2-door and with 4" of lift (probably more than 4" of measured lift) it's very likely the rzeppa joint on your driveshaft.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you

Thanks for the help. I also have a knocking sound that occurrs during cold start up. After it warms up it stops. It’s not the engine I don’t believe as if I rev the motor in Park it doesn’t make the noise. Sounds almost like something rubbing or clicking on something. It’s very loud. Any ideas? Thanks again for the help.

Quick Reply: New Jk owner