Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

New member- looking to hit the trails.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member- looking to hit the trails.

Hello all!

My jeep is a 2011 JKU Sahara. I've owned it for 3 years but I'll shamefully admit that I've never hit any trails with it. I'm looking to change that however!

Currently mods include a teraflex 2.5 BB, bilstien 5100 shocks, nitto 35x12.5 trail grapplers.

I have a long list of future upgrades but a new lift and re-gear is at the top of the list. I'm considering a 3.5", as I'd like to upgrade to 37" tires once my 35s wear out. I like the stance of the teraflex 3.5 but I'm wondering if anyone who's running that lift could provide a measurement of the roof height? I have about 4" of clearance right now from my roof to the bottom of my garage door fully raised with the 2.5" spacer lift and 35s, so I'm curious if my future plans of a 3.5" and 37s will work?

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2017, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt. Tan
Hello all!

My jeep is a 2011 JKU Sahara. I've owned it for 3 years but I'll shamefully admit that I've never hit any trails with it. I'm looking to change that however!

Currently mods include a teraflex 2.5 BB, bilstien 5100 shocks, nitto 35x12.5 trail grapplers.

I have a long list of future upgrades but a new lift and re-gear is at the top of the list. I'm considering a 3.5", as I'd like to upgrade to 37" tires once my 35s wear out. I like the stance of the teraflex 3.5 but I'm wondering if anyone who's running that lift could provide a measurement of the roof height? I have about 4" of clearance right now from my roof to the bottom of my garage door fully raised with the 2.5" spacer lift and 35s, so I'm curious if my future plans of a 3.5" and 37s will work?

Thanks!
Welcome to JK-Forum! As for the measurement, be sure to consider that each vehicle is going to vary in weight based on the kit that's on it. (winch, type of bumper, additional skid plates, etc)
Old 08-22-2017, 09:29 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Agree with Jedg, every jeep is different due to weight of mods, so everyone else's measurement isn't really gonna help you. That said, if you have a light jeep (no steel bumpers, winch, skids, etc) , I'd expect a bit more lift than what the spring really is. 3.5" could net you 4". It's not like a puck where you get exactly an extra 2.5" with the 2.5" puck.

Also, I'll say the same thing I say often......3.5" lift is going to cost you more than you realize. Most people just look at the cost of the suspension parts, and cheap ones at that. If you want 37s in the future, you should be considering quality lift with full arms, upgrading steering components, new front drive shaft, and decent ball joints....just to scratch the surface.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:53 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks for the input!

I am looking at the RK 3.5" flex kit. It comes with front lowers and I will add rear lowers, front and rear uppers, and rear track bar over time prior to installing the 37s. I would prefer to do the 3.5" now and upgrade as I go, as opposed to installing a lift I will just want to replace down the road. All that being said, parking the jeep in my garage is a priority, so if the 3.5" is going to put me too tall, then I will have to go with the 2.5". I believe I will be fine with the 3.5" but that's not really a job I want to tackle and have to air down just to get out of my garage once I'm done! Haha
Old 08-22-2017, 10:02 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Lt. Tan
I am looking at the RK 3.5" flex kit. It comes with front lowers and I will add rear lowers, front and rear uppers, and rear track bar over time prior to installing the 37s. I would prefer to do the 3.5" now and upgrade as I go, as opposed to installing a lift I will just want to replace down the road. All that being said, parking the jeep in my garage is a priority, so if the 3.5" is going to put me too tall, then I will have to go with the 2.5". I believe I will be fine with the 3.5" but that's not really a job I want to tackle and have to air down just to get out of my garage once I'm done! Haha
I have 3.5" RK springs. In it's current state my jeep has stubby front bumper with winch, a skinny series rear bumper, full skids, rock rails, and some armor on it. I don't have a spare on the back but the spare is currently IN the jeep for a trip tomorrow. I'm normally topless but hard top is on for the trip. I'll measure mine when I get home just for a point of reference. I have 37" nitto trail grapplers inflated to 28 psi. I'd still take it all with huge grain of salt.....but I hear ya. I don't have much clearance at all in my garage. With a soft top on I actually brush the rubber threshold on the top of my garage door frame. Hard top has maybe an inch of clearance.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Like resharp001... I'm running 3.5" RK triple-rate springs. I get 3 1/8" of actual lift from them. I have skid plates for the oil pan, transmission and transfer case. Steel stubby bumper, steel rear bumper, 10,000lb winch, V8 engine...
Old 08-22-2017, 04:56 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

So as described above, and loaded down in the cargo area ready for trip, with hard top on I measured 77" to top. Up front i get ~4" of actual lift out of the 3.5" RK springs. In the rear my axle is pushed back with adjustable arms so I have a little bend in the spring and use correction wedges, actual lift is more like 3.25" with the hard top on and loaded down.

Like I said....that can be an apples to oranges comparison from jeep to jeep, but if it helps, there it is.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
So as described above, and loaded down in the cargo area ready for trip, with hard top on I measured 77" to top. Up front i get ~4" of actual lift out of the 3.5" RK springs. In the rear my axle is pushed back with adjustable arms so I have a little bend in the spring and use correction wedges, actual lift is more like 3.25" with the hard top on and loaded down.

Like I said....that can be an apples to oranges comparison from jeep to jeep, but if it helps, there it is.
Thanks! That helps a lot.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:11 PM
Former Vendor

Default Welcome

Once you take it out you'll be hooked forever!

Quick Reply: New member- looking to hit the trails.