Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

New from NY

Old 01-22-2008, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New from NY

Hey there. My name is Victoria. Im living on Long Island NY. My fiance Dan and I are looking into getting a 4 door 07 Rubi. I think Im more excited about it than he is, and thats hard to beat. I have family from AL and as a kid they would take me for some light off roadin. I really wanna start getting outdoors more as I HATE the city. This would really be both our fist experiences in off roading on our own as adults. I know the best way to get the hang of it is to just hit the trails with some experienced off roaders. But any advice would be appreciated.

I know once we get the Rubi we are going to get her a winch, probably add some lights, and eventually get her lifted. But lets not count our chickens b4 they hatch.

Now for the questions....

I have seen on a few other jeep forums a lot of abbreviations being used. Also I dont know what stuff like lockers and stuff like that mean. Does anyone know of a list or site where I can find all this info out?

I had asked on some other jeep forums if it would be better to get a 07 Rubicon or 07 X and upgrade it myself. If I do upgrade an X myself would it be cheaper and better than a stock Rublcon? By "myself" I mean having it done after market by someone that really knows jeeps/ 4x4s. Some said they are very happy with their Xs / Saharas and that if we arnt going to do any major off roading to go that rout as well. We are thinking going Rubi bc we dont want to start out w an X and wish we went rubi and now have to upgrade to make it equal/better. Ohh and we have been looking at the price differences of the used Saharas and Rubis around here, and they are about the same. What do you guys think?

I also have a few questions about Jeep Camp and Jeep Jamboree. Thats the diff? When are they? Do they have camping areas? And can you bring your dogs? We have 4 and it would be a bit much to ask someone to watch all of them. If we start going to stuff like this we would like to bring the 2 bigger ones and leave the little guys with family. Well I guess we can always send them to a kennel.

Ok thats a longer post than I thought it would be. haha oops. Anyways thanx a head of time to anyone that can give me any info.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:18 AM
JK Jedi Master

Welcome to JK-Forum redvelvetroses.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:40 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Victoria,

Just spend a little time looking on the Forum, and all your questions will be answered. Here is a good thread for new people and questions:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/modified-tech-faq-answers-questions-every-newbie-has-18617/

As far as the X vs Rubi question, you will get a million answers. You have to think about how you plan on using your Jeep and decide if the cost is worth it to you. Once you factor in labor if you aren't mechanically inclined, it may be smarter to just buy the Rubi so you can finance the difference.

It all depends on how you plan to use your Jeep. A smart driver can get an X or Sahara over some pretty hairy terrain.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:20 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello fellow New Yuckian.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:04 PM
JK Newbie

Thanx for the welcomes.

Thank you Armycop for the link. I ordered a few jeep/ off roading books so I can learn more about how the jeeps work w/o having to ask Dan a 1000 things. Im sure hell learn a few new thigns too. Looks like Ill be readin till my eyes bleed.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:06 PM
JK Super Freak

RVR:

Welcome to the most time consuming and thoroughly fascinating website you will ever encounter. Consider yourself sucked in and all free time wasted!

Russ D.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome redvelvet....your going to be spending more and more time reading the forum here...its addictive for alot of us, kinda like myspace is for others.

are you looking at getting a 4dr? I'm guessing you are so you can fit all the dogs in it lol....there are alot of dealers in our area(NNJ here) with them in stock, rubi's and all....have you seen the 4dr with half doors? what options you thinking of ? or are you not even that far along yet?
Old 01-24-2008, 10:08 AM
JK Newbie

Im already asking myself where hrs of my life went. And I havent even been to all the sections of the forum or website yet.

tkob1060, yeah were looking for a 4 dr lol. I think we are going to go stock rubi w/ the full drs. Do you happen to have any links to the dealers by you? We are willing to drive kinda far for a good deal. I have seen a few online in NJ. I wonder if they are the same ones your thinking of. Or maybe they are just hidden goodies NJ is keeping from the online world? lol

Quick Reply: New from NY