Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Oil Pump and timing chain

Old 10-02-2020, 09:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pump and timing chain

Hi guys, I've been a DIYer and working on cars (as a hobby) for the last 26 years but all my experience has been on imported vehicles (Nissan, Toyota, BMW, Honda, Audi and Mazda). I have little experience on domestic cars but thats about to change. My fiance has a 2011 Jeep Wrangler 3.8L and Im getting ready to dissasemble the timing belt cover to replace the oil pump. I've done my research and this is what I have:

Oil pump is inside the timing cover (replacing all components). Since I'm removing the timing cover I will be replacing the timing chain. I think I hear that chain rambling sometimes when the Jeep is on the highway but that maybe something else or in my head. I'll be changing the chain just because its accessible after removing the timing cover. The jeep has 71,500 miles.

I will also be replacing the water pump just because it will be accessible.

I know I need to remove the oil pan and install a new gasket with some silicone on the edges.

I need to remove the serpentine belt, alternator, AC compressor and power steering pump.

Is there a step by step procedure on the removal of the timing chain? I also need torque values. The only torque values I have is for the timing cover 105 in lbs and oil pan.

While putting the timing cover back together, (I already baught the gasket) but do you guys apply silicone to it?

I have the top oil pan gasket, oil, oil filter, timing chain and sprockets, water pump with gasket, cranckshaft seal, timing cover gasket, silicone, coolant. I have a damper puller, sliding hammer for removing the little seal cap of the oil pump (spring housing of oil pump), torque wrenches.

Is there a list of additional parts and tools needed?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Almost forgot to tell you guys why Im doing this. The engine sounds like a diesel engine. It sounds rough. The oil light pressure is on and there are no cell codes. Sometimes when I accelerate the oil light pressure turns off and the engine sounds "nomal" but quickly after I release the pedal the sound starts again with the oil light turning back on. And of course it has oil. I changed the oil and put an OEM filter just to rule out that the oil filter was affecting oil pressure but that didn't do anything.
Old 10-03-2020, 01:42 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Lightbulb Bad bearings more likely than bad oil pump...

Regarding the low oil pressure and the diesel sound; I wouldn't bet on the oil pump being the problem, more likely it's bearings. If it's just rod bearings, they are easily replaced with the timing cover and oil pan already removed -- less than 2 hours of additional work. Suggest using 5w-40 for maximum bearing protection.

I was going to rebuild the oil pump during chain replace and decided to just clean + inspect rather than rebuild -- The the torx bolts for the oil pump cover are quite tight, not worth the risk if it's in good shape.

Suggest Permatex hi-tack on the timing cover gasket, don't use silicone. There are several special tools and some tips in the second thread-link below.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...er-pan-353031/
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...3/#post4356819
Stay in touch,

Last edited by Mr.T; 10-03-2020 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Regarding the low oil pressure and the diesel sound; I wouldn't bet on the oil pump being the problem, more likely it's bearings. If it's just rod bearings, they are easily replaced with the timing cover and oil pan already removed -- less than 2 hours of additional work. Suggest using 5w-40 for maximum bearing protection.

I was going to rebuild the oil pump during chain replace and decided to just clean + inspect rather than rebuild -- The the torx bolts for the oil pump cover are quite tight, not worth the risk if it's in good shape.

Suggest Permatex hi-tack on the timing cover gasket, don't use silicone. There are several special tools and some tips in the second thread-link below.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...er-pan-353031/
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...3/#post4356819
Stay in touch,
Hi, thanks for the reply. I found the problem. I had left a paper towel inside the oil pan when I changed the oil pan gasket a couple months ago. That paper towel clogged up in the oil strainer. I cleaned the strainer tube and everything is working perfectly.

Quick Reply: Oil Pump and timing chain