Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Accent Bolts on Method Rims

Old 04-20-2017, 11:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Replacing Accent Bolts on Method Rims

Hello,

New to the forum and I don't believe this has been addressed in previous threads. I recently purchased a 2017 Willys Unlimited and put on a set of 17" Method Double Standard rims. I LOVE the rims but can't stand the accent bolts - they are a zinc/gold color. I understand they are removable. Has anyone either:

(A) Removed them completely?
(B) Replaced them with like-size bolts of a different color?
or (C) Removed and painted existing bolts?

I would really appreciate anyone's input here. And if you have modified any of the above, I would love to see photos! I will upload a photo of my JK later today.

Thanks in advance!!

-Ryan
Old 04-20-2017, 02:20 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Ryan - first welcome to the JK-Forum!
Can you post up a pic? I'm not familiar with that rim but if they are beadlocks the bolts can be switched out pretty easily. I run Method beadlocks now on my JK.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome to the JK-F

Usually when bolts that are zinc/gold in color that usually means there is a protective cover on them that prevents them from rusting. Removing this removes the protective barrier. I am with sm_rubi need a pic.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:10 AM
JK Newbie

Sorry for the delay! Here are some pics I took yesterday. I REALLY appreciate your replies! Let me know.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2529.JPG
Views:	8493
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	670845   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2522.JPG
Views:	7179
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	670846   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2510.JPG
Views:	2784
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	670847   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2507.JPG
Views:	2621
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	670848  
Old 04-27-2017, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

Cool

Bumping this. Anyone else remove their Method rims "accent bolts" and either replace with different ones and/or paint them black? Would love to see photos!
Old 04-27-2017, 02:04 PM
JK Newbie

I am looking at the titanium version of those wheels, and I was wondering the same thing, since I don't personally like the bead-lock look. The information on their website says the bolts are removable, and I was able to find some photos on google images that showed them removed. But I'm wondering if the finish will be damaged underneath the bolts when you remove them?
Old 04-27-2017, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

Good call. I doubt it will be damaged but the rims look...funny when they're just removed. In my opinion, anyway. I was considering removing them and spray painting a few black coats before putting back on. However, being there's 24 per tire, that's a lot of work! I wanted to see if anyone else has tackled this before I start moving on it. I'm also concerned the black paint will get messed up when trying to put the newly painted bolts back on. Even when thoroughly dry...

I love the rims otherwise, so this has been bothering me!

Thanks for the reply, dude.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

Update

Last edited by MercsJeep; 04-27-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MercsJeep
Good call. I doubt it will be damaged but the rims look...funny when they're just removed. In my opinion, anyway. I was considering removing them and spray painting a few black coats before putting back on. However, being there's 24 per tire, that's a lot of work! I wanted to see if anyone else has tackled this before I start moving on it. I'm also concerned the black paint will get messed up when trying to put the newly painted bolts back on. Even when thoroughly dry...

I love the rims otherwise, so this has been bothering me!

Thanks for the reply, dude.
Hahaha, yeah I was dreading just removing 120 bolts, I can't imagine having to paint and reinstall them too!
Old 05-01-2017, 06:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by maranellotech
I am looking at the titanium version of those wheels, and I was wondering the same thing, since I don't personally like the bead-lock look. The information on their website says the bolts are removable, and I was able to find some photos on google images that showed them removed. But I'm wondering if the finish will be damaged underneath the bolts when you remove them?
That's the silliest thing I've read all day. Look at other wheels, there's a lot of them.

Quick Reply: Replacing Accent Bolts on Method Rims