Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: 6.4L JK with Icon Coilover Spring Rate

Old 02-17-2018, 08:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rubicon 6.4L with Icon Coilover Rate Help

Hello Everyone, new member here. I am definitely a newbie when it comes to suspensions so please be patient with me. I have searched high and low and have called Icon and a few other guys but they have not been too much of a help.

I am looking for some help on my 2016 JK 4 door 6.4L Hemi with the Icon stage 2.0 Coilover 1.75-4.0" Conversion in the front. It also has a Warn 10K Zeon on the front bumper. I believe that the guy that I bought the Jeep from did not have the correct coil over spring rates in the front to compensate for the added weight of the Hemi and the winch. I have taken some measurements and to me the shock seems much too compressed at resting position.

Your input and guidance is much appreciated!

Questions I have:

1) Does anyone else out there have this set up? If so, did you change your spring rates and to what?
2) At rest there in only 2.7" of travel before the shock bottoms out. Is this realistic?
3) What spacer and puck do you have on the bump stop?
4) Am I missing anything here?

Quick Overview:

Estimated added weight of the Hemi and the Winch: 245 lbs

Note: For some reason Icon puts the heavier rate coil on the top. Does anyone know why? Icon said, "that is the way we do it"
Coil Rate Top: 10" 350
Coil Rate Bottom: 12" 200

Exposed Shock, as measured from the bottom coil retainer where the coil sits to the base of the shock body. Basically the shinny part of the shaft
Resting: 2.7"
Full droop: 7.48"

Another thing to note that the shock will bottom out before the icon bump stop is bottomed out. I believe that there should be a bigger bump stop puck on the axle and also a spacer on the actual bump stop.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:44 AM
JK Newbie

Question Help: 6.4L JK with Icon Coilover Spring Rate

Hello Everyone, new member here. I am definitely a newbie when it comes to suspensions so please be patient with me. I have searched high and low and have called Icon and a few other guys but they have not been too much of a help.

I am looking for some help on my 2016 JK 4 door 6.4L Hemi with the Icon stage 2.0 Coilover 1.75-4.0" Conversion in the front. It also has a Warn 10K Zeon on the front bumper. I believe that the guy that I bought the Jeep from did not have the correct coil over spring rates in the front to compensate for the added weight of the Hemi and the winch. I have taken some measurements and to me the shock seems much too compressed at resting position.

Your input and guidance is much appreciated!

Questions I have:

1) Does anyone else out there have this set up? If so, did you change your spring rates and to what?
2) At rest there in only 2.7" of travel before the shock bottoms out. Is this realistic?
3) What spacer and puck do you have on the bump stop?
4) Am I missing anything here?

Quick Overview:

Estimated added weight of the Hemi and the Winch: 245 lbs

Note: For some reason Icon puts the heavier rate coil on the top. Does anyone know why? Icon said, "that is the way we do it"
Coil Rate Top: 10" 350
Coil Rate Bottom: 12" 200

Exposed Shock, as measured from the bottom coil retainer where the coil sits to the base of the shock body. Basically the shinny part of the shaft
Resting: 2.7"
Full droop: 7.48"

Another thing to note that the shock will bottom out before the icon bump stop is bottomed out. I believe that there should be a bigger bump stop puck on the axle and also a spacer on the actual bump stop.

Old 02-17-2018, 02:34 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

I know next to nothing about coilover setups, but bottoming out the shock before compressing the bump stop is universally bad (unless there is something analogous to a bump stop built into the coilover). Bump stops compress to slow down the travel of the axle rather than abruptly stop it (which might break something, as well as handle/feel poorly). What do you know about the bump stop in the pic?

2.7" up-travel sounds low to me. My tiny 2" lift has 3.5" up-travel on the front, plus bump stop compression. But the bigger problem is that bump stops might compress 1-2" (maybe more), so setting the bump stops to begin compressing a couple inches lower leaves hardly any up-travel before that point. I know a rock crawler type in an early Bronco that likes small up travel with lots of down travel, but for general purpose and washboard/rough roads I'm liking about equal travel up and down.

I'd get all the specs/instructions for your coilover lift, then talk to Icon again. Gut reaction is more weight than the coils were designed for, and something is funky with the shock travel getting used up before the bump stops do any compression.

Edit: I misread the part about the shock bottoming out before the bump stop, and was thinking that the shock bottomed before contacting the bump top. Suggest measuring how much bump stop compression there is before the shock bottoms and see if that's what Icon recommends.

Last edited by Mr.T; 02-17-2018 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph
The following users liked this post:
Covalent (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 04:21 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

before you add the preload line up the bottom end of the top coil and the top end of the bottom coil to help keep them from bowing. It may not eliminate it now that they have a curve to them but should help. 2.5" coils tend to bow over time if not lined up. If you coils are fully compressing you need longer coils with less pre load or a longer softer rate.
Covalent (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
before you add the preload line up the bottom end of the top coil and the top end of the bottom coil to help keep them from bowing. It may not eliminate it now that they have a curve to them but should help. 2.5" coils tend to bow over time if not lined up. If you coils are fully compressing you need longer coils with less pre load or a longer softer rate.
Thank you for the information. I did notice and the bottom the coil is bending and rubbing the shock housing. How do you align the two shocks when there is that plastic slider/ spacer in between them? Should't that take care of the alignment? Maybe I am not understanding what you are trying to tell me?
Old 02-17-2018, 04:41 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Line up the ends like in the photo
Covalent (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 04:43 PM
JK Newbie

Line up the ends like in the photo

Ahhhh I see now. Thanks! I will check on Monday when I get back to the shop.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

So how bad is the front sagging? I run the stage 2 ICON coilovers, but they are the 4.5" -6". There is zero sag and plenty of adjustment if that was even an issue. Their coils are made by Eibach, so finding a different rate should not be a huge deal. Call Scott at ICON and get his input.

My kit came with huge bump stop extensions which severely limited travel, so I ditched them when I swapped in my PR44. I am using tje Dynatrac bump stops and all is good now.

What size tires are you running? I thing the kit you have on your JK is really suited for 35" tires and under.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:25 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

One more thing to look at is your stop nuts. Where are they set at? You photo to me looks like the bottom coil is taking all the weight of the jeep. Do you have any more photos of the shock showing the stop nuts?
Old 02-18-2018, 08:45 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

One more thing to look at is your stop nuts. Where are they set at? You photo to me looks like the bottom coil is taking all the weight of the jeep. Do you have any more photos of the shock showing the stop nuts?
Is it just my eyes, or is the top coil in the pic made from larger diameter steel?

Quick Reply: Help: 6.4L JK with Icon Coilover Spring Rate