JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   The New Member Registry (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/new-member-registry-21/)
-   -   San Diego girl needs your help! (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/new-member-registry-21/san-diego-girl-needs-your-help-322021/)

Taryn 05-22-2015 09:36 PM

San Diego girl needs your help!

Hi everyone, I have a 2012 Jeep Rubicon and I need a tire carrier. I am in way over my head here cuz i know nothing about them. I lifted my jeep 2 years ago and my tire is way to heavy for my gate. It even started cracking. I need your suggestions and advice. I want the most bang for my buck. I don't want any ratteling issues cuz that drives me crazy. Should I just invest in a tire carrier or tire carrier/back bumper? Eventually I want to upgrade the back bumper but its functional right now. Its the only thing I have not changed but money is real tight right now. Help, and thank you!

Wardman 05-22-2015 09:54 PM

Tire Carrier Blues

Taryn I too have a 2012 Rubicon, I just put 35's on and I have heard 2 stories. One "the tailgate will be fine." Two "you need at least a tailgate support." There are several TG supports from $150 to "whatever you want to spend" if you already have damage (you said it cracked) I would say you are at the point where you need something right away. I think this forum doesn't allow product promotion by manufacturers. I dunno about posters. Check the major Jeep aftermarket websites and search Teraflex or Smittybuilt spare tire carriers for 07-15 Jeeps.

lulu2533 05-23-2015 04:31 AM

I don't run with a spare for daily driving. I do throw it in the cargo area when off road though.
I am also in the process of deciding on a rear bumper/ tire carrier.
I have heard a lot of good things about Ace. Have a few of their products but none of their bumpers. For the best bang for your buck, they should prob be at the top of your list if money is a factor.

TheDoubleD 05-23-2015 05:22 AM

How about the teraflex carrier?

YouTube link

http://youtu.be/4TpzXGHNgW8

Mr.Smith 05-23-2015 05:33 AM

For simplicity and ease of use look at poison spyder Rock brawler II rear bumper and tire carrier. If you want to keep your spare with you at all times I suggest this one. Looking at getting this particular bumper myself.

lulu2533 05-23-2015 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.Smith (Post 4102794)
For simplicity and ease of use look at poison spyder Rock brawler II rear bumper and tire carrier. If you want to keep your spare with you at all times I suggest this one. Looking at getting this particular bumper myself.

It is a nice setup but it is quite expensive. She was looking for something that wouldn't break the bank.

JK505 05-23-2015 07:12 AM

I'm a little rusty on the prices but the teraflex tire carrier works great for my buddy who has heavy 35s. Also, you can't go wrong with ace, so I'd look there as well. For a rear bumper, that's personal taste and totally up to you.

DunnyBunny 05-23-2015 08:06 AM

Ok yes paying sponsors can chime in and promote their product here if they like. If your on a budget then check out the Crawler Conceptz tire carrier only. Built very well. Opens with the tailgate. Will easily hold a 35. And are on sale right now for memorial day weekend. Upgrade to a nice bumper later on.
You can go the teraflex route also but I've heard about breaks and failures with theirs.
I think poison spyder makes just a carrier now. Not 100% sure on that one.
Otherwise if you want a bumper and carrier combo then the choice is really yours. One of the best qualities on the cheaper side that I like is the bestop rear with tire carrier. Carrier again opens with the door and will easily carry a 35. It already comes powdercoated. I have installed one myself and it's an easy install and nice bumper.

etl330 05-23-2015 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny (Post 4102855)
Ok yes paying sponsors can chime in and promote their product here if they like. If your on a budget then check out the Crawler Conceptz tire carrier only. Built very well. Opens with the tailgate. Will easily hold a 35. And are on sale right now for memorial day weekend. Upgrade to a nice bumper later on. You can go the teraflex route also but I've heard about breaks and failures with theirs. I think poison spyder makes just a carrier now. Not 100% sure on that one. Otherwise if you want a bumper and carrier combo then the choice is really yours. One of the best qualities on the cheaper side that I like is the bestop rear with tire carrier. Carrier again opens with the door and will easily carry a 35. It already comes powdercoated. I have installed one myself and it's an easy install and nice bumper.

The poison spyder carrier is a big expensive thing like the Eco carrier. I'd say Teraflex or crawler conceptz hinge would be perfect for her. I have the teraflex with no issues and it comes powdercoated which the CC doesn't. By me Powder shops are running about three week lead time right now :/

DunnyBunny 05-23-2015 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by etl330 (Post 4102886)

The poison spyder carrier is a big expensive thing like the Eco carrier. I'd say Teraflex or crawler conceptz hinge would be perfect for her. I have the teraflex with no issues and it comes powdercoated which the CC doesn't. By me Powder shops are running about three week lead time right now :/

Oh ok I forgot what the psc carrier looked like.