Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Selecting the best Lift Kit

Old 04-14-2019, 10:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selecting the best Lift Kit

Hello Everyone,
I not sure which lift kit would be best. I want to lift my jeep 4" and put 35" tires on my 2012 JK Rubicon. I don't plan on doing super crazy rock climbing, maybe small boulders I my have to crawl over from time to time. I mostly take my Jeep out in the sand or up in the mountains. I was looking at the MOPAR 4" kit, Vs others like

Teraflex, or whatever maybe better.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:41 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Why do you want 4" of lift?
Old 04-14-2019, 03:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selecting the best Lift Kit

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Why do you want 4" of lift?
I don't necessarily want a 4", I'm looking for the best lift for 35" tires that will allow me to have a good performance on the road and ability to go off road crossing streams, deep rutted roads, and fairly steep climbs.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

I ran 35s at stock height with trimmed fenders for a few years. It's very capable. If you want to lift, start in the 2.5" range
Old 04-14-2019, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm running 35's with trimmed fenders and a set of take-off coils from a JKU Recon I got on Craigslist for $100. It's a pretty cheap way to go for some extra height, and though not perfect, it's easy and gets the job done.

I decided on the slightly taller/stiffer coils to compensate for all my extra weight from bumpers, winch, etc. and to improve my breakover angle (which had proved a surprising limitation, for a 2-door). They work for me, until I can scrape together the cash for a proper lift.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:27 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by sfcjohnknight@yahoo.com
I don't necessarily want a 4", I'm looking for the best lift for 35" tires that will allow me to have a good performance on the road and ability to go off road crossing streams, deep rutted roads, and fairly steep climbs.
A stock jeep will do what you are wanting to do. I generally recommend Metal Cloak or Synergy. they both have a couple options for clearance of 35" tires.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:33 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

If you're not picking up on what everyone is inferring.......you don't need 4" of lift to accommodate 35s. You should do what is necessary, and not worry about going higher as it will just cause headaches. As you see, you can get by with no lift at all, but if you just want a lifted vehicle, 2.5" and 35s is a really nice combination. There are so many ways to go about a 2-2.5" lift, but the one thing that remains consistent when lifting the JK, is adjusting caster in the process. If you're not familiar with that there are lots of threads to read up on, or I'm sure someone else can elaborate.

Quick Reply: Selecting the best Lift Kit