Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Serious wheel stud issue

Old 02-04-2019, 11:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious wheel stud issue

I need some serious help! I have a 2009 Jeep Wrangler X. I've done some modifications on her including a 2 inch lift, tera30 front axle replacement, new ball joints, teraflex tie rod and drag link kit, falcon 3.1 shocks, falcon steering stabilizer etc.. I am currently running 35" rockcrawlers on 17" stock wheels and 2" inch spacers to avoid rubbing on my hydraulic lines. I changed my tires about 6 months ago and probably about 5 months ago my wheel studs started shearing off. First the rear driver side tire, then the front passenger, rear passenger and now rear driver side again. While it was originally the studs from my spacer breaking. It now appears the studs on my hub are beginning to shear as well. It happens all at one or not at all. I check them every time before I drive and Make sure their torqued properly.. previously ran 33" Nitto street tires on stock rims and before that had 35" general grabbers on 15 inch steelies. Never had this issue before. If anyone has any clue what is happening it would greatly appreciated. I can also post pictures if that helps at all.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

yes posting pictures would be helpful
Old 02-10-2019, 08:48 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

Maybe if you changed your hubs in the front it would explain them breaking... some off company brands might have poor metal... but having it from and rear erases that... I would look at the spacers... some of those studs could be weaker metal... and create a domino effect on the factory studs? Something must be loose?
Old 02-11-2019, 02:37 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Sounds like fatigued metal just letting loose as though the wheel spacers were loose at one point in time and when you applied the proper torque that the metal is showing the weakness.

What spec are you torquing to and how are you measuring that force applied? Let's assume you're using a torque wrench so when was the last time it was checked for calibration?
Old 02-12-2019, 07:14 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Ok, so I'm standing in my garage last night working on a project, and look at my jeep sitting in the drive and WTF do I notice? My rear wheel only has 4 lugs in it! I go inspect and sure as hell I had a stud sheer right off. I've had my jeep coming on 6 years and never had this issue. I'm pretty anal about lug nuts in particular. What I will normally do is start threading a lug nut on my hand, then use a cheap HF electric impact to tighten it down just till it's snug, then use a torque wrench to finish things off to 95ft lbs, making a star pattern twice around.

I first thought about this particular thread which I noticed the other day, and how I'm always cursed like this......or maybe it's just the universe speaking to me . I’ll be moving along in my life just fine, glance at a thread and think “poor sucker”…..then within days have the same thing happen to me! I recently had my rear axle removed (long story that is not pertinent). I started thinking about is one thing that was different as I was putting things back together. I had bought a new impact that was much stronger than my old one. When I put the wheels back on, I did the same procedure as normal, BUT, I used this new impact on the lowest setting. I do kind of recall when I moved to the torque wrench, everything was already at 95ft lbs and I didn't need to snug them up. So, my theory here is they were over torqued......not by a ton mind you, but enough that I think that is what caused the failure.

I would ask you how you’re installing lug nuts. Do you think you could be over torquing them? If you’re using an impact, I’d start finishing those off by hand and see if it makes a difference. I would note my studs were on Nitro shafts, not factory, but I’d think all these studs are about the same. I've had 35s on 4.5" BS, 37s on a netted 3" BS (4.5" + 1.5" spacers), and these are 37s on 3.5" BS. I don't think any of that really matters though. I think it's all about the torque. I will be replacing all the studs on both rear shafts at this point.....just in case. Better safe than sorry.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Yeesh that sucks man. The only time an impact goes onto my wheel lug nuts is for removal. I always hate that tire shops use damn impact guns to put wheels back on. They cross threaded a buddy of mines wheel stud one time. He didn’t know it until we wanted to do a brake job on his ride.
After I get wheels balanced and put on I typically back off the torque a bit and retorque with my wrench at home. It’s anal but if they cross thread or something stupid I can go right back and have them fix it.
I reckon you’ll be doing this shortly.
https://www.familyhandyman.com/autom...stud/view-all/
Old 02-12-2019, 07:23 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Seizer
Yeesh that sucks man. The only time an impact goes onto my wheel lug nuts is for removal. I always hate that tire shops use damn impact guns to put wheels back on. They cross threaded a buddy of mines wheel stud one time. He didn’t know it until we wanted to do a brake job on his ride.
After I get wheels balanced and put on I typically back off the torque a bit and retorque with my wrench at home. It’s anal but if they cross thread or something stupid I can go right back and have them fix it.
I reckon you’ll be doing this shortly.
https://www.familyhandyman.com/autom...stud/view-all/
LOL, y, ordered 10 new studs and just replacing all of them in the rear to error on the side of caution. Will keep old ones in spare parts bag for trail emergencies. Ponied up $20 for the Lisle tool that looks handy to have as well. I'm always very careful with lug nuts....I just wasn't used to having a "real" impact and think I was dead tired of working on the jeep when I put the wheels on last. Live and learn......tbh, kinda surprised how little torque it took to break one of those. It's not like sat there and hammered on it. I know I wasn't THAT careless.

On a side note....I need to get back up to Colorado this summer.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:27 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

That's a cool little tool! Amazon find??
Old 02-13-2019, 04:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

. , , , .

?????????? ????????
Old 02-13-2019, 05:45 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by karls10jk
That's a cool little tool! Amazon find??
Oddly enough, I’ve never had to change a wheel stud before, so I was just looking at the method. Saw a YouTube video and guy was using a Lisle 22800 tool, and it looked like a better option than using stacked washers, especially if doing more than just 1 stud. I like that with bearings and the conical shape, it’s self-centering as you use it. I’m going to go ahead and replace all 10 rear lugs and just figured it would be worth $20 or so, and it would be handy to have in my trail bag as well. That seemed about the price threshold I’d be willing to pay. Anything more than that and I’d just go the washer route I think.

Quick Reply: Serious wheel stud issue